Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox
The shoutbox is currently offline!

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Click Here and visit PuPPs FREE StuFF

This website contains controversial information that may be disturbing to some viewers.
The theories, conclusions and commentaries are presented in an attempt to reveal the hidden truths.
It is up to the viewer to determine what they choose to believe after evaluating all available sources of information.

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION
Does your government represent your best interests?

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

POLITICAL ART GALLERY

IMPORTANT TOPICS

1. U.S. NEWS MEDIA CAN LEGALLY LIE TO YOU
There is no law preventing the U.S. news media from intentionally lying to the public. Whistle blowers and honest reporters are fired for telling the truth.

2. FLUORIDE IS A TOXIN/POISON
Read the Poison Warning label on your toothpaste, then call the 800# and ask;
"Why do you put poison in my toothpaste?"

3. NEW FLU VACCINE IS LOADED WITH MERCURY
by Dr. Joseph Mercola

4. PEDOPHILES IN HIGH PLACES
Also: Conspiracy of Silence Video

5. ASPARTAME IS HARMFUL
Equal, Nutra-Sweet and over 6000 food and beverage products contain Aspartame

6. On September 10, 2001, Donald Rumsfeld held a press conference to disclose that over $2,000,000,000,000 (2 Trillion) in Pentagon funds could not be accounted for.
Such a disclosure normally would have sparked a huge scandal. However, the commencement of the [9/11] attack on the World Trade Center and The Pentagon the following morning would assure that the story remained buried.

http://drinkingwaterlosangeles.com
Serving the greater Los Angeles area,
Los Angeles Drinking Water is proud to offer Reverse Osmosis filtration systems
that remove trace elements such as arsenic, mercury, lead and fluoride
which are known to be in Los Angeles tap water according to
the 2013 DWP Water Quality report.
POLITICAL ART GALLERY

"If our nation is ever taken over, it will be taken over from within."
~ James Madison, President of the United States

Pages: (8) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Urantia Book, What do you think?
oldtimer

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Nov 16 2004, 10:23 AM
Quote Post
I am not a frequent visitor to this forum and am torn between posting on this thread or not. This seems to be rather a 'civil' forum without much name-calling or harsh words. So this could seem harsh to some.

It has been many years since I have picked up either the Bible or Urantia and read them at length and I don't NECCESSARILY believe either to be COMPLETELY truthfull, accurate or easily accomodating rightfull interpretaions in every instance. Having experienced it myself, I can well understand the frustration in discussing such things with the 'evangelical' Christians. As has been pointed out by the 'Pioneer Queen' poster, the problem with the evangelicals is their ego-centric outlook. To think that this earth and the humanity upon it are the predominant or sole concerns of God is neither scientifically or Biblically defensible. Such an attitude neccessarily leads to a narrow or closed-mindedness, a SELF-limiting concept of God and the Universe.

For the evangelicals, in these types of dicussions, it always comes back to 'faith'. But sometimes there is a very fine line between faith, and pride and self-delusion. Yet for many, the thinking remains, 'well, I'm such a good, faithfull and righteous person, the Lord would protect me from any deceptions or mistakes in Biblical interpretations'. This is just plain self-centeredness, self-worship. Keep in mind that in both Urantia and the Bible, pride is singled out as the primary sin of the 'Luciferian' attitude.

My thinking is that for many, the Bible has become another 'golden calf'. Instead of looking to an 'idol' for wisdom, inspiration or blessings, they look to a book. Yet both the book and the idol are but material objects. Sometimes I think that evangelicals are the modern day Sadducees and Pharisees. Bound by tradition, rigid in thought, unwilling to even entertain incorporating new or additional insights into their belief systems. The very kinds of people who rejected the teachings of Jesus.

Let me give two very simple, innocuous, and in my mind, rather unimportant and uncontraversial examples of material from Urantia that I have presented to my hard-core Bible believing friends.

The first concerns the death of Judas. In the Book of Matthew, Judas is said to have hung himself. But if you go to Acts you’ll learn that Judas died from a fall instead, and graphically splatters upon the rocks below. It doesn’t mention him hanging himself. Is this a contradiction? No. But the Bible doesn't explain this further. Urantia does. It states that Judas did indeed hang himself. But after a time the 'rope' broke and his body fell over the adjacent precipice. Simple, right? It does not contradict the Bible, just adds a very small amount of information. Yet my evangelical friends reject it simply because it's not in the Bible. Something so relatively unimportant, so simple, so plausible, and yet is beyond consideration. Why? Because if they were to even consider the possibility that this little bit of new information was factual, they would then have to consider other parts of Urantia as well. And this is unacceptable. It threatens them and their whole world view.

The second example concerns the giving of 'vinegar' to Jesus while he was upon the cross. This is mentioned in all four Gospels, in one of them in the same sentence which refers to the 'mocking' Roman soldiers. Some have interpreted this as a further act of cruelty by the soldiers, giving Jesus a bitter liquid for His thirst rather than water. Urantia states that this was an act of compassion by one of the soldiers, the same soldier as related in one of the Gospels who became a believer in Jesus. The Roman simply gave Jesus some of their 'vinegar', the bitter wine which the soldiers regularly drank. Here again, just a little additional information, simple and very plausible. Is it factual? I have no way of knowing. Is it worthy of outright rejection? I don't believe it is.

I chose these two timid examples to show the rigid nature of evangelical thought. One can imagine the protestations had I chosen something more contraversial. Nowhere in Urantia does it even suggest that Jesus was 'just a messanger'. Quite the contrary. Jesus the Christ is presented as the co-creator and Sovereign of OUR universe. As far as concerns the humans on this earth, He is THE 'Son of God'. It is further emphasized over and over that 'there is no way to the Father but through the Son'.

May your 'thought adjuster' be with you! (Urantia humor)

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Nov 16 2004, 10:38 AM
Quote Post
>>You are so full of derision that it is a waste of time to respond in a meaningful way to any of your posts. I do hope that ~Wings~ will overlook your superior attitude and let you hang on your disgusting words

LOL.. whats the matter, a little to much truth for you to handle? WAKE UP

Horus
Was born of the virgin Isis-Meri in December 25th in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.
His earthly father was named "Seb" ("Joseph").
He was of royal descent.
At age 12 he was a child teacher in the Temple, and at 30, he was baptized, having disappeared for 18 years.
Was baptized in the river Eridanus or Iaurutana (Jordan) by "Anup the Baptizer" (John the Baptist) who was decapitated.
He and 12 disciples, two of whom were his "witnesses" and were named "Anup" and "AAn" (the two "Johns").
He performed miracles, exorcized demons and raised El-lazar from the dead.
Horus walked on water.
His personal epithet was "Iusa" the "ever-becoming son" of "Ptah," the "Father." He was called the "Holy Child."
He delivered a "Sermon on the Mount" and his followers recounted the "Sayings of Iusa."
Horus was transfigured on the Mount.
He was crucified between two thieves, buried for three days in a tomb, was resurrected.
Titles: Way, the Truth the Light; Messiah; God's Anointed Son; Son of Man; Good Shepherd; Lamb of God; Word made flesh; Word of Truth.
Was "the Fisher" and was associated with the Fish ("Ichthys"), Lamb and Lion.
He came to fulfill the Law.
Was called "the KRST" or "Anointed One."
Was supposed to reign one thousand years.

The reason why all these narratives are so similar, with a godman who is crucified and resurrected, who does miracles and has 12 disciples, is that these stories were based on the movements of the sun through the heavens, an astrotheological development that can be found throughout the planet because the sun and the 12 zodiac signs can be observed around the globe. In other words, Jesus Christ and all the others upon whom this character is predicated are personifications of the sun, and the Gospel fable is merely a rehash of a mythological formula (the "Mythos," as mentioned above) revolving around the movements of the sun through the heavens.68

For instance, many of the world's crucified godmen have their traditional birthday on December 25th ("Christmas"). This is because the ancients recognized that (from an earthcentric perspective) the sun makes an annual descent southward until December 21st or 22nd, the winter solstice, when it stops moving southerly for three days and then starts to move northward again. During this time, the ancients declared that "God's sun" had "died" for three days and was "born again" on December 25th. The ancients realized quite abundantly that they needed the sun to return every day and that they would be in big trouble if the sun continued to move southward and did not stop and reverse its direction. Thus, these many different cultures celebrated the "sun of God's" birthday on December 25th The following are the characteristics of the "sun of God":

The sun "dies" for three days on December 22nd, the winter solstice, when it stops in its movement south, to be born again or resurrected on December 25th, when it resumes its movement north.
In some areas, the calendar originally began in the constellation of Virgo, and the sun would therefore be "born of a Virgin."
The sun is the "Light of the World."
The sun "cometh on clouds, and every eye shall see him."
The sun rising in the morning is the "Savior of mankind."
The sun wears a corona, "crown of thorns" or halo.
The sun "walks on water."
The sun's "followers," "helpers" or "disciples" are the 12 months and the 12 signs of the zodiac or constellations, through which the sun must pass.
The sun at 12 noon is in the house or temple of the "Most High"; thus, "he" begins "his Father's work" at "age" 12.
The sun enters into each sign of the zodiac at 30°; hence, the "Sun of God" begins his ministry at "age" 30.
The sun is hung on a cross or "crucified," which represents its passing through the equinoxes, the vernal equinox being Easter, at which time it is then resurrected

Contrary to popular belief, the ancients were not an ignorant and superstitious lot who actually believed their deities to be literal characters. Indeed, this slanderous propaganda has been part of the conspiracy to make the ancients appear as if they were truly the dark and dumb rabble that was in need of the "light of Jesus." The reality is that the ancients were no less advanced in their morals and spiritual practices, and in many cases were far more advanced, than the Christians in their own supposed morality and ideology, which, in its very attempt at historicity, is in actuality a degradation of the ancient Mythos. Indeed, unlike the "superior" Christians, the true intelligentsia amongst the ancients were well aware that their gods were astronomical and atmospheric in nature. Socrates, Plato and Aristotle surely knew that Zeus, the sky god father figure who migrated to Greece from India and/or Egypt, was never a real person, despite the fact that the Greeks have designated on Crete both a birth cave and a death cave of Zeus. In addition, all over the world are to be found sites where this god or that allegedly was born, walked, suffered, died, etc., a common and unremarkable occurrence that is not monopolized by, and did not originate with, Christianity

ooo and by the way horus wasnt the god of the underworld, he was the prince of the living.. your thinking of osiris ( yahweh) god of the under/over world

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Nov 16 2004, 10:58 AM
Quote Post
this is a very interesting book, is it channeled through somebody?

Minister Of Information
Group: Members
Member No.: 253
Mood: 

Posted: Nov 16 2004, 11:36 AM
Quote Post
Horus

According to Whikipedia Enciclopedia

Horus (Also Heru-sa-Aset, Hrw, Hr, and Hor-Hekenu) is the falcon-headed god of ancient Egyptian mythology. He was the son of Osiris and Isis. (the river and land gods)
Like many other gods the nature of what he was and the legends and stories that went with him changed over the course of history. Horus was an amalgamation of other, related deities, all of whom were sun gods and associated with the royal prerogative and the sky. Because Horus was a combination of other gods, it is rarely correct to refer to "Horus" as Horus was as much a family of related deities (though many had differing parentages) unified in one being; something similar occurs in many Christians' interpretation of the one God who manifests in three parts.
Heru-ur (also called Harmerti) is the oldest version of Horus, and was a falcon creator-god who was known for restraining Apep. His eyes were the sun and the moon; during a new moon, he was blind and was called Mekhenty-er-irty ("he who has no eyes") and upon the return of his sight, he was called Khenty-irty ("he who has eyes"). While blind, Horus was quite dangerous, sometimes attacking his friends after mistaking them for enemies. He was a son of Geb and Nut and was the patron god of Letopolis.
As a child, Horus was called Har-pa-khered ("Horus the child" and called Harpocrates by the Greeks) and was a son of either Osiris and Isis or Banebdjetet and Hatmehit. He was depicted as a naked boy with a finger in his mouth, sitting on a lotus with his mother. In this form, he was a fertility god and was depicted with a cornucopia. Har-pa-Khered became very popular during the time of the Roman Empire, when he was depicted riding a goose or ram (note Banebdjetet, his father, was a ram god).
Later Horus became absolutely aligned as a son of the dead body of Osiris and Isis (alternatively: he emerged from Saosis' acacia tree). This is very often cited as "the" Horus in many scholarly works. In truth, this Horus was called Har-sa-iset or Harsiesis.
As Har-nedj-itef (Harendotes in Greek), Horus was Osiris' bodyguard in the underworld, called the Duat.
As Behedti, Horus was the patron deity of Behdet (cur: Edfu), where he was strongly associated with the falcon.
As Chenti-irti, Horus was a falcon-god of law and order.
Later still he became associated with the sun god Ra where they combined especially at Heliopolis and became Ra-Herekhty (also Ra-Heru-akhety, Her-akhety ("Horus of the two horizons"), Har-em-akhet ("Horus upon the horizon"), Horakhety, Harmachis (Greek)), god of the morning sun.
Anhur was Horus as a union with Shu.
In the 3rd millennium BC, Set became the patron god of the pharaohs (replacing Horus in the form of Har-mau or Harsomtus) after overthrowing Horus in the form of Har-wer or Haroeris. Later a story became popular that Set had killed Horus' father Osris, and Set was thought of more and more as an evil god. So Har-mau was again made the pharaohs' patron in this myth: A war between Set and Horus ensued, lasting for eighty years. Har-mau tore off one leg and the testicles of Set, who in turn took out Har-mau's left eye (hence he is referred to as "the one-eyed god"). His eye was later returned to him. Horus won the war (with the support of Neith) and became the ruler of Lower and Upper Egypt. Seth was castrated or killed or moved in with Ra and became the voice of thunder.
Horus was the father of the four gods associated with the canopic jars of Egyptian funerary beliefs: Imset, Hapi, Duamutef, and Kebechenef.

-----------

There is one thing we see nowadays is that 90% of the churches have gone away from the principles of the Bible. That is the main reason that so many are going away from it. They got a wrong image of Christianity. And that's not recently. Go back to the Catholic church of the centuries 14th, 15th, 16th, you might have an ideia, and what was made on the name of God, as they stated, is not on the Bible. The Catholic church itself was born only to control the people, created by an roman imperor who proclamed himself the first pope, when Rome almost ended because the population started to follow the techings of Jesus.
This has made many to think that Christianity is evil, made only to control the masses, but they forget to see the real roots of it.

Lol Guest I see your post was made only by anger... Did we hit a nerve form you? If you cannot have a paceful discussin, this is not your place. Go back to GLP, where you probably come.
Jesus was NOT a jew. This is just another lie made by them ( those who say that are jews but aren't ) to the masses believe that they are "best" than the others. do you know the roots of the word jew? At Jesus' time the word jew was used to call the people of Judaea, not the religion, as it is today. Do you your homework.
Yes, Nostradamus did some previsions too, but, have you read them? And do you know how nostradamus did his previsions? (Note: Nostradamus made his previsions with a group of "friends", but he was the one who became famous.)

Hey oldtimer, yes, this is a civil forum, well, except for some posters... But we try to keep the level. You are right describing the behaviour of some Christians of today. Most of them don't care to what is written, they just wan't to read words that make them feel well. Not to mention the preachers of today, who do anything to bring more adepts to their church, but making the mbelieve that if them don't "contribute" some money to the church, they will burn in hell. Funy how this remembers the sells of indulgences by Catholic church in the past.

Regarding Judas death, I found an interesting part on the Bible, where Jesus speaks to Peter, after the crucification:

John, 21:20 - 23

21:20 Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?
21:21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
21:22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.
21:23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

Wings~

Ps. Folks, I'm sorry if I seemed rude in my previou post, but is that I made it after I woke up from a baaad night... And for the grammar and spelling errors, well, I don't live in USA, and english is my second language, and I'm still learning all it''s secrets.

--------------------
"Those who know nothing about history are doomed forever to repeat it."
~ Will Durant

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,
and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
~ Arthur Schopenhauer
PMEmail Poster

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Nov 16 2004, 11:47 AM
Quote Post
>>This has made many to think that Christianity is evil, made only to control the masses, but they forget to see the real roots of it

actually i never commented on the essence of what jesus taught, nor did i say christianity was 'evil'.. i was simply trying to open your mind to all the plagerization and watering down that has been done to your relgion over the years

as for jesus.. he was a jew in all sense of the word, he was a radical spiritual teacher who branched away from the essenes, he didnt preach his godhood(the churchs did that for him later), he helped people find the christhood within themselves

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Nov 16 2004, 11:50 AM
Quote Post
ps. sorry if i sounded like a dick in my other posts, but sometimes its nescessary to get people to open there eyes... its the stuff that hurts that heals ya the best

Master Of His Domain
Group: Admin
Member No.: 8
Mood: 

Posted: Nov 16 2004, 12:14 PM
Quote Post
I believe it's spelled... Nostradamus
(I don't totally believe in his quatrains.)

and I believe grammer is spelled "grammar".

Take notice that for some of our members here, English is a second language for them.

Thessa, thank you for the links.

PQ, Black Betty, OldTimer and Guest, thank you for your input on this controversial subject.

I can relate to not being able to read certain things until one is ready. Our minds are often closed and require an awakening.

The important thing is...

Can we discuss this subject in a civil manner, respectful of others opinions and beliefs, and share information, facts, knowledge and theories in order to form our own conclusions?

--------------------
"Ye shall know them by their fruits"
~ Matthew 7:16

"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
~ Buddha
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
voice of the voiceless

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Nov 16 2004, 01:38 PM
Quote Post
1. I had the U-book for a decade before it took on significant meaning for me.

2. The U-Book came into my life in a very, very odd way; and I'll leave it at that.

3. When this book took on significant meaning for me, my life changed in dramatic ways.

4. If one has not read the entire book, one has little ground for commenting on it at all. This is because if you missed even 1 pagagraph in the book, the rest of the book can be taken out of context.

5. I personally consider the Urantia Book the "Bible for the 21st century" (here come the evangelicals to rip me apart) p.s. wwjd?

6. Some people (posters) will work very hard to discredit the Urantia Book (see above).

7. The book is around 2,500 pages. Yet, you must think about every sentence you read in the book. This will make for a very long read--you better get started.

8. Once you come to understand this book (if you make it that far), your level of personal responsibility to be good and do good, skyrockets...some people cannot or will not take on that challenge and responsibility.

9. Be your own judge--READ THE BOOK.

(oddly enough, you can find this book at major bookstores like barnes & noble...But it will most likely be hiding in the bottom corner of the bookshelf) The book is only arond $30 new.

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Nov 16 2004, 01:41 PM
Quote Post
LOL, finally someone appreciates that delicious irony, well done pup

sorry for bein sucha a pompous ass hahahah

>>Can we discuss this subject in a civil manner, respectful of others opinions and beliefs, and share information, facts, knowledge and theories in order to form our own conclusions?

thats all i want for christmas mommy

Intentions
Member No.: 201
Mood: 

Posted: Nov 16 2004, 01:56 PM
Quote Post
Old Timer...very good post. You stated things so well, so concisely and logically. Thank you for your views! handclap.gif hugs.gif

PMEmail Poster
BJ1

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Nov 16 2004, 05:05 PM
Quote Post
Oldtimer:
Nowhere in Urantia does it even suggest that Jesus was 'just a messanger'. Quite the contrary. Jesus the Christ is presented as the co-creator and Sovereign of OUR universe. As far as concerns the humans on this earth, He is THE 'Son of God'. It is further emphasized over and over that 'there is no way to the Father but through the Son'.

Thank you for clarifying this issue! I can now get along with the business of reading the book. Oldtimer, and to all that think all Christians have a very narrow-minded spiritual outlook, please be advised that this isn't so! In fact, some non-Christians are truly stuck in a rut with their own biased conclusions, and wonder why the rest of us don't see things their way. Those are the ones who get real pointy, using veiled insults couched in "nice" words! They won't STUDY the Bible, yet tell the rest of us that it's filled with mythology, and that we should believe their factless diatribe.

We are coming very close to the time of the "image of the beast" that will be made to speak great things Rev. 14 & 15). I posted an article about Robotoids and how holographic intelligence can be downloaded into the brain. We had better be on guard for this, as it says in Scripture that the whole world follows after the beast. What great things shall he speak to deceive the many? Over and over, the Apostles warned us of the great deception. Non-Christians want to kill us now. What then! They won't be killed for their faith, not having any, so for us it's where the rubber meets the road.

BJ

Freedom Fighter
Member No.: 237
Mood: 

Posted: Nov 18 2004, 08:12 AM
Quote Post
To learn and look for truth is a very difficult task not only because it’s time consuming but also, and above all, at least if we are serious about it, because we need to be in a constant evaluating state between not to be mislead into a path that can set us back and not to be afraid to challenge ourselves.

With these kind of books, as with everything we may come across on our search for true knowledge, if we are not willing to give up of our preconceived ideas it can be very difficult, if not impossible, for us to consider other approaches that are not in agreement with our particular belief systems.

If we approach other perspectives in a biased and rigid way, only looking for what our own belief system expects or permits, we may be only perpetuating our own false or at least distorted ideas without confronting them with others that could give us new and progressive understandings.

To have an open mind and heart can do wonders to our enrichment for the simple reason that if we approach other perspectives with wrong ideas we may not get the objective understanding we could get if we are always ready to consider other points of view, even if we need to completely change course about what we think or imagine it’s true.

I truly believe that most of us are equipped, although in different degrees, to “intuitively” distinguish what’s true from what’s not and by following our intuition to be able to built a consistent bulk of knowledge.

The difficult part is, first, to admit that we are able to do it; second, that we can do it using our intuition, meaning by ourselves and not because others say so; third, and most importantly, to develop our intuition in a way it can actually helps us do it.

Just a thought... winkNEW.gif

Thessa

Ps: Intuition is a misunderstood but powerful tool. It is not some woo-woo kind of woman stuff as some so depreciatively want to paint it. It’s what we call gut feeling or our first thought. The kind of perception that comes from our most deep and knowledgeable centre BEFORE we apply to it our conscious and more frequently than not our biased, misleading and mouthful considerations that mixed up, entrap and ultimately cloud our reasoning.

Just like too many data don’t necessary result in reliable information, to many conflicting and often opposing rationalizations don’t necessary enable us to reach truthful conclusions. Most of the time, and we all can attest that, our first thought is the right one. Why?... because we all have a inner knowledge that enables us to know despite all efforts to subdue and bury that realization.

--------------------
“And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (NKJV)
PMEmail Poster
Nyx

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Nov 19 2004, 05:44 AM
Quote Post
Hi everybody,

Yes the Urantia Book have been channeled throught some Seventh's Day Adventist's like Wilfred Kellog in 1923-1935... and only have been publied 20 years later, (1955)

have a good day

Nyx

Hidatsa

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Nov 19 2004, 07:37 AM
Quote Post

...to promote a multidisciplinary view of the religious, spiritual and esoteric phenomena.
What´s New

About Us

Links

Search

Contact
Religion home
Science home
Back to Spirituality
Religion sections
World Religions
New R. Groups
Ancient Religions
Spirituality
Secret Societies
The Esoteric
The Paranormal
Extremism
Science sections
Archaeology
Astronomy
Linguistics
Mathematics
Neurology
Psychiatry
Physics
Philosophy

What´s New
About Us
Links
Search
Contact
Google

The Web
Metareligion
More sections:

Subscribe to the
Metareligion Newsletter
Submit your site
Suggest an article
Banners
Index
Spanish Home Page
Support from other sites
Webrings
Religious news
Photography
Polls

Please, help us sustain this free site online. Make a donation using Paypal:

Urantia brotherhood
Description

Report Name: Urantia Brotherhood (pronounced: you-ran'-sha)

Founder: Dr. William S. Sadler

Date of Birth: 1875 (died 1969)

Place of Birth: Chicago

Year(s) Founded: 1950-1955

Brief History: Sadler taught at the Post-Graduate School of Medicine at Chicago University, and for thirty years he was a lecturer in Pastoral Counseling at the McCormick Theological Seminary. He was also the author of numerous books. During the '20's and '30's, he became interested in one of his unusual cases. This patient came to see him after his wife informed him that he had been talking in his sleep and seemed to have been talking for various supermortal personalities called revelators. The contact personality was entirely asleep during the transmission and had little or no interest in the process when he was awake. From these sessions emerged The Urantia Book. Sadler organized a group to discuss the material collected from this patient and others in 1934-1935. The group was called the Forum. The Urantia Foundation, headed by a five member board, was formed as a non-profit educational group in the year 1950.

Sacred or Revered Texts: The Urantia Book is the sacred text. The Urantia Foundation claims the book is used as a spiritual guide by many different religions. It has over 2,000 pages and is divided into 200 individual essays with information on God, other supernatural beings, the history of the earth and the rest of the universe, the development of mankind, and the purpose, history, and message of Jesus Christ. It is divided into four sections: Part I: Central and Superuniverses; Part II: The Local Universe; Part III: The History of Urantia; Part IV: The Life and Teachings of Jesus.

Cult or Sect: Negative sentiments are typically implied when the concepts "cult" and "sect" are employed in popular discourse. Since the Religious Movements Homepage seeks to promote religious tolerance and appreciation of the positive benefits of pluralism and religious diversity in human cultures, we encourage the use of alternative concepts that do not carry implicit negative stereotypes. For a more detailed discussion of both scholarly and popular usage of the concepts "cult" and "sect," please visit our Conceptualizing "Cult" and "Sect" page, where you will find additional links to related issues.

Beliefs of Group: The Urantia Book is the basis of beliefs of the Urantia Foundation. The book describes Urantia to be an ancient name for the planet Earth. There are five epochal events in the history of mankind; the fourth is the life of Christ and the fifth epochal revelation is the Urantia Book. The book does not present a complete religion. Urantia does not have a clergy or a creed one is required to believe in, nor does it have a code of behavior. There are many teachings of the Urantia Book. Part I consists of 31 papers and describes the nature of Deity, the reality of Paradise, the organization and workings of the central and superuniverses, the personalities of the grand universe, and the high density of evolutionary models. These books were formulated by 24 spiritual administrators acting with a mandate issued by high deity authorities, otherwise known as the "Ancients of Days," directing that they do this on planet Urantia in the year 1934 AD.

Part II, comprised of 25 papers, describes the Local Universe, which is the work of the Creator Son of the Paradise Order of Michael. It is comprised of 100 systems of constellations, each with 100 systems of inhabited worlds. Each system will eventually contain about 1,000 inhabited spheres. Urantia (Earth) belongs to the local universe. Michael, the Son of God and the Son of Man (otherwise known as Jesus of Nazareth), is the sovereign of Urantia's local universe. In the central universe, the Universal Father (God) is a personally present figure. The Father is represented in sovereign universes by sovereign sons. However, he is still present in the minds of his mortal children through his "indwelling spirit," or "Thought Adjusters."

In Part III, the 63 papers describe the history of Urantia. Around 1,000,000,000 years ago, Urantia reached its present size. This part describes the history of the planet, its geologic development, the establishment of life, the evolution and history of man, evolving civilizations, human institutions and governments. It also discusses the Trinity concept, the evolution of religion, the indwelling spirit of God, personality survival, and the bestowals of Christ Michael.

Book IV, the final book, consists of 77 papers which describe the life and teachings of Jesus. It describes the Son of Man's childhood, youth, early travels, personal and public ministry, the twelve disciples, and his trial, death, and resurrection.

Size of Group: There is no record of an exact number, but a total of 250,000 Urantia Books have been published. Urantia is based completely on The Urantia Book which does not require readers to join a certain church or adhere to certain standards. The Urantia Book is a guide available to all religions, so the size of the group reading the book could be quite large. Many services are available on-line for those interested in Urantia.

Remarks: Many concepts in The Urantia Book are directly traceable to earlier works including writings of Seventh-Day Adventists. Urantia has been involved in several law suits. In 1991, the Urantia Foundation sued Kristin Maaherra for copyright infringement, and in 1996, they sued the Fellowship Uversa Press, and the Jesusonian Foundation for trademark infringement. Urantia has trademarked and registered the name Urantia and the Concentric-Circles symbol (a large blue circle with two smaller circles inside of it.) The Concentric-Circles symbol is on the Banner of Michael. The International Urantia Association (IUA), organized by the Urantia Foundation, is a reader membership organization. It is a task-oriented, social and service organization formed to foster a closer study of The Urantia Book and the orderly dissemination of its teachings. IUA's activities are intended to spread teachings of the Book mainly by word of mouth, personally, in a quiet manner like that of Jesus. IUA also refers readers to study groups, responds to reader inquiries, sponsors meetings, seminars, conferences, and develops teaching and leadership skills. The Urantia Foundation publishes the Urantian News twice yearly.

In April of 1996, the Urantia Foundation held its first ever Translators' Conference in Paris, France. They focused on the development of a dictionary of terms unique to the Urantia Book, the standardization of computers, software, formatting, establishment of e-mail communications, translation of the most difficult concepts in the book, and the importance and dynamics of having a translation team. The Urantia Book has been translated into ten languages, including the following: French, Finnish, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Korean, Swedish, Estonian, German, and Italian. French, Spanish, and Finnish are available in print for the public, and the other seven languages have been drafted. Urantia makes services readily available online. Many of these services are offered on the pages listed below, such as getting involved in study groups and study aids.

Truth Seeker
Member No.: 286
Mood: 

Posted: Nov 19 2004, 08:16 AM
Quote Post
Hello.

Well it's that Mik guys fault again! Nice to see people think, out loud even! So many different opinons and viewpoints! It is refreeshing to know that we can all get together and have a discussion like this. Great Minds thinking Greater Thoughts! I love it!

Mik {:O)
Your friend as we break through the vail. whistlingNEW.gif

--------------------
:May Father stand betwen you and any evil that your path may cross!

"OF course you can trust the government! Ask any Indian!"
"Ask a Native person about, holocaust and genocide!"
PMEmail PosterAOL

Topic OptionsPages: (8) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0398 ]   [ 17 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

"Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce."
~ James A. Garfield, President of the United States

MORE POLITICAL ART

"Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws."
~ Amschel Mayer Rothschild