Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox
The shoutbox is currently offline!

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Click Here and visit PuPPs FREE StuFF

This website contains controversial information that may be disturbing to some viewers.
The theories, conclusions and commentaries are presented in an attempt to reveal the hidden truths.
It is up to the viewer to determine what they choose to believe after evaluating all available sources of information.

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION
Does your government represent your best interests?

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

POLITICAL ART GALLERY

IMPORTANT TOPICS

1. U.S. NEWS MEDIA CAN LEGALLY LIE TO YOU
There is no law preventing the U.S. news media from intentionally lying to the public. Whistle blowers and honest reporters are fired for telling the truth.

2. FLUORIDE IS A TOXIN/POISON
Read the Poison Warning label on your toothpaste, then call the 800# and ask;
"Why do you put poison in my toothpaste?"

3. NEW FLU VACCINE IS LOADED WITH MERCURY
by Dr. Joseph Mercola

4. PEDOPHILES IN HIGH PLACES
Also: Conspiracy of Silence Video

5. ASPARTAME IS HARMFUL
Equal, Nutra-Sweet and over 6000 food and beverage products contain Aspartame

6. On September 10, 2001, Donald Rumsfeld held a press conference to disclose that over $2,000,000,000,000 (2 Trillion) in Pentagon funds could not be accounted for.
Such a disclosure normally would have sparked a huge scandal. However, the commencement of the [9/11] attack on the World Trade Center and The Pentagon the following morning would assure that the story remained buried.

http://drinkingwaterlosangeles.com
Serving the greater Los Angeles area,
Los Angeles Drinking Water is proud to offer Reverse Osmosis filtration systems
that remove trace elements such as arsenic, mercury, lead and fluoride
which are known to be in Los Angeles tap water according to
the 2013 DWP Water Quality report.
POLITICAL ART GALLERY

"If our nation is ever taken over, it will be taken over from within."
~ James Madison, President of the United States

Pages: (6) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Linux Corner

Intentions
Group: Members
Member No.: 476
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 20 2005, 07:35 PM
Quote Post
Hey bj1,

I wanted to post here yesterday, then opted not to.

Feel free to post anything you want to about Linux here.

That's why Nightshade started this thread.

Nightshade, I love reading about your frustrations pullhair.gif and triumphs cheer.gif in overcoming computer glitches. You give humorous expression to things we've all experienced.

I agree with you on that. I feel that Nightshade has been given a very special and unique gift for communicating with people. I alway's look forward to her posts. thumbsup2.gif

If there is anything I can help you out with, let me know.

And thanks PuPP for giving us a place where we can be ourselves.

peace2.gif

danny38

PMEmail Poster

Universal Migrator
Member No.: 440
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 03:22 AM
Quote Post
AHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! IT'S ALIVE, IT WORKS!!! I installed Gentoo!!! I've just lost my techie virginity! hahah! I'll come back and read new posts and see what's cookin' in the world tomorrow, I've just compiled X and everything's hideous (and the forum looks VERY strange using lynx) I had a couple of nasty problems (one of which is still unresolved, but seems harmless and more of an annoyance for now), but it's all working properly smileNew4.gif

--------------------
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying your luck.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
BJ1

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 04:47 AM
Quote Post
Danny wrote:
"If there is anything I can help you out with, let me know."

Thank you, Danny for that offer. If I need help with this Win\Me with its contrary IE browser, I will come calling! Will post any questions on another thread.

Between you and Nightshade, no one who needs help with 'puter problems should suffer for long. As soon as things smooth out on the homefront here, I may get brave enough to download the Linux program. I am, for the time being, intimidated by the tech talk passed between you and Nightshade. Sounds complicated and I don't want to go where I might find myself in deep water. Gee, I can't even go into Safe Mode and know what I'm doing. Never flew solo in that territory.

Nightshade: clap.gif

BJ

Intentions
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 08:13 AM
Quote Post
clapping.gif Congratulations Nightshade. cheers2.gif

Lynx, is not the funnest way to navigate the web, that's for sure.

Configuring X, can be a little difficult. You really need to know your Monitor settings, Horizontal and Vertical sync. The Gentoo manual cover's it pretty well.

I haven't installed a desktop yet. Just using Twm in X. About as basic as it get's, just my terminal and firefox browser. Everything moves fast and looks good.

What were the nasty probs you had?

Keep us posted.

peace2.gif

danny38

PMEmail Poster

Universal Migrator
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 01:12 PM
Quote Post
Lynx is definitely not tons of fun, although there is a bit of a novelty factor to it smileNew4.gif The first problem I ran into was with my make.conf file. I'd chrooted and tried to env-update, and it kept giving me parsing errors telling me not to use the = sign (it's kind of necessary...) so I commented out the lines it didn't like, which I wasn't too happy about as I'd put them in there for a reason! When there were no more lines that it was unhappy about, it gave me a new problem -- "Unexpected end of file!" I ended up copying the example to make.conf and modifying it, and that worked nicely, but I'm still puzzled as the things it was complaining about are EXACTLY the same in my modified example file as they were in my hand-written one!
The next one wasn't too big a deal, I'd compiled riva into my kernel because I thought I needed it for my nVidia card, then went to emerge nvidia-kernel and it didn't like riva one bit! Had to reconfigure and recompile my kernel (what on earth are these people who report their kernel taking 4 days or longer to compile doing?? Mine can't have taken any longer than 20 minutes, and this certainly isn't a top-of-the-line PC! Recompiling can't have taken any longer than 5 minutes.)

The problem that I still have is an error message I get when booting the system, it doesn't seem to think that my hda1 (/boot ext2) is valid...and something about not being able to read the superblock. I'll find the exact error message when I'm using something better than lynx. It prompts me to go into maintenance mode and run the file check utility for ext2, I tried that and it fixes up some blocks, but the problem persists even after it's fixed. This WOULD be a major problem, but if I hit Ctrl-D it boots up normally and works fine (and has no problem reading /boot!) I've heard that adding udev to the end of the grub configuration file fixes this for some people, but I compiled my kernel without devfs (it being a 2.6 kernel and all), and all of the people who have fixed the problem this way seem to have used genkernel. I configured this one by hand. Many with this problem also seem to get it before anything loads up -- Grub works fine, I get this problem afterwards.
Until I get it fixed, it'll be a startup annoyance. I'm just glad I can boot the system, a lot of people with similar problems can't get in at all!

All the rest of the glitches I've encountered have had to do with X. I'd thought that nvidia-kernel was all I'd needed and that something just wasn't working properly, it turns out I also needed to emerge nvidia-glx and opengl-update...which worked just fine, but then X wouldn't start because it couldn't find my mouse! At first I thought that maybe it was because I'd conpiled my kernel without Serial support, but decided to look for other options before recompiling my kernel (again). Good thing, too, as it really was much simpler -- I'd used xorgconfig to have it semi-automate the writing of xorg.conf by asking me questions about my hardware. I don't trust fully automatic methods and writing xorg by hand would be PITA!
Well. I'd figured that because there was nothing special about my mouse, the default location would be fine. /dev/mouse, that seems to make sense. After a couple of tried with different locations I'd seen people use, I decided it might be a good idea to actually take a look in my own /dev directory (by this point I was thinking I would definitely need to recompile my kernel).
Oh! There it is! /dev/input/mouse0 ... I was amazed when startx didn't spit an error message at me, but loaded up the terribleness of twm! (I've emerged fluxbox, so I'm a much happier camper! I also don't seem to be able to open my cd-rom drive, but that's probably something stupid to do with mounting that I'll figure out. Still need to get firefox...portage says there's no firefox ebuild...? And the installer from mozilla.org wants libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 Wait a minute...maybe I should try emerge mozilla-firefox and see it that works (rather than just emerge firefox) smileNew4.gif Can't wait to see graphics on the internet again!

--------------------
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying your luck.

Universal Migrator
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 01:14 PM
Quote Post
That's quite the mess of text! I'll have to edit that and make it readable once firefox is back on line.

--------------------

Intentions
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 02:10 PM
Quote Post
Nightshade,

That's actually a very impressive "mess of text" I understand everything you're talking about, and it's been a while since I talked with anyone outside of a Linux forum.

You've come a long way very quickly.

emerge mozilla-firefox is correct, it worked for me.

I'd chrooted and tried to env-update, and it kept giving me parsing errors telling me not to use the = sign

Was this after you mounted the proc filesystem

Did you

chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile

I went ahead and installed KDE. Everything looks good. I've decided that I will go ahead and install Gentoo on my main system. I will be doing this all over again, and looking forward to it. winkNEW.gif

I hope you've had fun so far. Just think of the rewards, plus the feeling of having more control over your operating system.

Also, you've got the main part up and running. The rest is just fine tuning.

I will be popping back in off and on to talk more about your install.

peace2.gif

danny38

PMEmail Poster

Intentions
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 02:59 PM
Quote Post
The nice thing about Gentoo, is that it lets you decide how you want to set up your Linux System.

The cdrom needs to be mounted. You can always configure it later to automatically mount. The way it is set up now is the way it used to be in earlier Linux distros, for a more secure system.

You can look in /etc/fstab. Find where your cdrom is listed, and the mount point. For example mines listed as: /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom So you would mount it, and cd into it.

mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0

cd /mnt/cdrom0

peace2.gif

danny38

PMEmail Poster

Universal Migrator
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 02:59 PM
Quote Post
Good luck with your next instal!

Firefox is *almost* finished emerging, I can't wait til it's done...I'll have to read up a bit on portage commands, because I know there must be a way to search for things even with incomplete ebuild names and individual files (like mandrake's urpmq and urpmf). Portage niceness is a good feature, Mandrake didn't like it when I tried to multitask while compiling.

That's exactly where it started complaining about my make.conf file. I think I'd mounted proc a while earlier, chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash went off without a hitch, env-update was where it started spitting parse errors at me. I guess my handwritten make.conf wasn't as good as I thought it was! Everything was fine after I re-wrote it using the example as a template.

Once I get some more of the basic stuff up and running I'll see if enlightenment will work for me...I'd tried it with Mandrake, but the version in the repositories is DR 16. There's nothing wrong with that, but it was DR 17 that caught my eye and made me want to try it in the first place. Compiling it from the source gave me so many errors, I figured I'd wait to install it, seeing as I knew that I'd be installing Gentoo soon. It's just not worth the effort of sorting out compile errors and dependencied when you know you're going to format the drive soon!

It's a great feeling knowing that you've built your system from the ground up, and that EVERYTHING that exists on it is there because you put it there, not because it was installed by default smileNew4.gif

Glad to see you're not stuck with twm anymore, that's got to be the ugliest window-manager I've ever seen -- I actually ended up going back to the command line after verifying that my X server was indeed working (besides which, all I could run on it was the Xterm...I prefer the command line to a bash prompt in an ugly box!

--------------------

Universal Migrator
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 03:46 PM
Quote Post
Whoops, that's why my cdrom won't open...I wrote "noauto" (auto filesystem, noauto in mount options) in the fstab lol2.gif
I thought that it just wouldn't automatically start reading the files inside the CD with that setting, I hadn't realized that it would make the drive itself not respond while unmounted! Firefox is still compiling....in the final stage, I *think*

--------------------

Intentions
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 04:51 PM
Quote Post
Twm was pretty plain. I was just using it because it installed with X. I wanted to test out my Nvidia driver and see how firefox ran.

I'm pretty suprised how snappy things are on my old hard drive. It's only Udma33 5400rpm.

My main one is an Ultra ATA133 7200rpm. Which is a big difference performance wise.

Can't wait to see how fast things go on that one.

BTW, I forgot to ask you what are your system specs.

Mine are:

Amd Athlon64 3000+
512 mb corsair value select ddr pc3200
Samsung 40gb Ultra ATA133 7200rpm
Nvidia Geforce3 Ti 200 64mb (oldie but goodie, can't seem to let it go as I've had it a long time)

How do you like Fluxbox. I haven't tried it out.

peace2.gif

danny38

PMEmail Poster

Universal Migrator
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 05:28 PM
Quote Post
I've never been so happy to see my browser open up!

My system specs -- don't laugh! I swear it understands everything I say...

AMD Duron 747 MHz
256 megs ram
20Gig Samsung hard drive (what speed and model is a mystery)
NVidia GeForce2 MX400
El-cheapo Creative Ensoniq sound card
PC Chips mainboard (can't recall the exact model off the top of my head...M80l somethin-or-other. The main tech support site is user-created and called the "PC Chips Lottery" which says something about their dependability!)
SiS730 chipset

Laz's system is much nicer with a gig of ram and an Athlon XP 2500. However, it runs Windows, so he's jealous of my computer now smileNew4.gif

One more annoyance that needs fixing is that my mouse wheel doesn't work. I think I remember seeing how to edit xorg.conf to make it work while looking at some of the documentation last night..

Fluxbox is awesome, I'd originally installed it just to play around with and because some of the screenshots I'd seen looked cool. After installing it and getting comfortable with the interface, I never bothered logging in to KDE again! Fluxbox is to Window managers as Gentoo is to linux distros -- it's very minimalistic, but highly configurable smileNew4.gif

--------------------

Intentions
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 06:15 PM
Quote Post
Nightshade,

To to get the mouse to scroll, you need to edit your xorg.conf file.

Here's a copy of mine:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "protocol" "Imps/2"
Option "zaxismapping" "4 5"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

You will want to add/or change the "protocol" "Imps/2" and the "zaxismapping" "4 5"

peace2.gif

danny38

PMEmail Poster

Intentions
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 06:27 PM
Quote Post
I might not have made that very clear.

The important change is adding the "protocol" "imps/2" and the "zaxismapping" "4 5"

Like how it shows in my config file.

Hope that makes sense.

peace2.gif

danny38

PMEmail Poster

Universal Migrator
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2005, 06:58 PM
Quote Post
Made perfect sense, and my mouse wheel is working beautifully now, thanks a ton! The official documentation only mentions setting the zaxis mapping, so I was a little disappointed that it didn't work...

Tech support a-la Pupp's saves the day! smileNew4.gif

A scroll wheel is a necessity for me, both for useful functions and because playing with the scroll-wheel is an idle habit of mine, sort of like chewing your nails (it's definitely better than my other half's, which is to poke hundreds of holes in the mouse-pad with thumbtacks. Another reason we each hsve our own computers!)

--------------------

Topic OptionsPages: (6) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0376 ]   [ 17 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

"Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce."
~ James A. Garfield, President of the United States

MORE POLITICAL ART

"Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws."
~ Amschel Mayer Rothschild