Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox
The shoutbox is currently offline!

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Click Here and visit PuPPs FREE StuFF

This website contains controversial information that may be disturbing to some viewers.
The theories, conclusions and commentaries are presented in an attempt to reveal the hidden truths.
It is up to the viewer to determine what they choose to believe after evaluating all available sources of information.

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION
Does your government represent your best interests?

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

POLITICAL ART GALLERY

IMPORTANT TOPICS

1. U.S. NEWS MEDIA CAN LEGALLY LIE TO YOU
There is no law preventing the U.S. news media from intentionally lying to the public. Whistle blowers and honest reporters are fired for telling the truth.

2. FLUORIDE IS A TOXIN/POISON
Read the Poison Warning label on your toothpaste, then call the 800# and ask;
"Why do you put poison in my toothpaste?"

3. NEW FLU VACCINE IS LOADED WITH MERCURY
by Dr. Joseph Mercola

4. PEDOPHILES IN HIGH PLACES
Also: Conspiracy of Silence Video

5. ASPARTAME IS HARMFUL
Equal, Nutra-Sweet and over 6000 food and beverage products contain Aspartame

6. On September 10, 2001, Donald Rumsfeld held a press conference to disclose that over $2,000,000,000,000 (2 Trillion) in Pentagon funds could not be accounted for.
Such a disclosure normally would have sparked a huge scandal. However, the commencement of the [9/11] attack on the World Trade Center and The Pentagon the following morning would assure that the story remained buried.

http://drinkingwaterlosangeles.com
Serving the greater Los Angeles area,
Los Angeles Drinking Water is proud to offer Reverse Osmosis filtration systems
that remove trace elements such as arsenic, mercury, lead and fluoride
which are known to be in Los Angeles tap water according to
the 2013 DWP Water Quality report.
POLITICAL ART GALLERY

"If our nation is ever taken over, it will be taken over from within."
~ James Madison, President of the United States

Pages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Why Spirit Guides Don't Show Themselves, Spiritual Perception
spacie

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Sep 30 2005, 11:21 PM
Quote Post
wow
it's memory lane for me, too.
when i got my first divorce and had to leave my 4 year old daughter in the custody of my hubby's parents...since, i was homeless and jobless...what helped me sleep every night...was remembering riding my first horse that i got to train when i was around 10...her slow canter was so soothing and we would do that for miles...recalling her rythm[sp?], made the whole world seem safe again !
VPF....i liked to sell my horses and ponies to others that needed their company.

i do have a funny story...
my last mare had alot of personality.
i bought her an ex-rodeo quarter horse....he had been in a trailer accident and broke his leg. because he was only 6 and a good speed horse...the owner had his leg 'fixed'. but...he was stall bound for so long...and got his muscles 'tied up' when they let him out finally.
so..i got him
he had spent most of his life stall bound.
he was a large horse...and did not know how to roll over !!!!!!!!
my mare loved to roll over many times...and one day, she kept dropping to the ground in front of cody and rolling. she would get up and down & roll right in front of him !
cody watched.
after a long half hour...cody buckled his legs and dropped.
it took forever...but, he finally managed to do an awkward roll !
it was so kewl...cody then practiced for days.
he was in heaven.
he could now scratch his own back !!

thanks...for the memories.
my hips are not so good anymore, either.
just age and babies knockin a hip outta socket.
oh well...
he he
maybe someday !!

lots of love,
nanA.
[love is the key to horses...and some grain !]

gossip2.gif

Universal Migrator
Group: Members
Member No.: 440
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 1 2005, 01:50 AM
Quote Post
Those are the kinds of memories that I hang on to when times are rough as well. I used to compete in 3-day eventing, and that was always fun, but at the end of the day it was always the quiet times that meant the most. It's always a safe place to go back to.

I rode a quarter horse called cody for a while smileNew4.gif This Cody, however, was an absolute expert at rolling, particularly in the mud. It was amazing in the summer, when the mud dried up, to see this scruffy brown horse transform into a sleek pale palomino.

Simple pleasures...

love, sweet feed and potato chips!

--------------------
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying your luck.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN

Universal Migrator
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 1 2005, 02:29 AM
Quote Post
OMG! I just found Nutmeg!!!

http://thegrovehillgang.com/lost_and_found...ers-mares3.html

user posted image

That's a terrible picture of her though, I've got much better ones floating around somewhere in my mom's basement. Late teens or early 20's...wow does time ever fly, I still remember her as being young and green.

That just made my day, month and year, finding out that she's okay (and a "very good ol' girl" at that!). I was looking for something completely different when I stumbled across the name and decided to check it out with "no, it couldn't be..." in the back of my mind.

--------------------
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying your luck.
Visiting PuPPs Fan

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Oct 1 2005, 06:19 PM
Quote Post
This guy is amazing - Monty Roberts - I bought some of his videos at a market stall a while ago and they are awesome. His natural horsemanship educational videos are all about working with horse psychology instead of human psychology.
This is the contact information on the back of the video covers:

Monty & Pat Roberts Inc.
P.O. Box 1700, Solvang, CA 93464
Email: admin@montyroberts.com
www.montyroberts.com
Within US. 888-U2-MONTY
Outside US & Canada (805)688-4264
Fax (805)688-2242

I just wish I'd gotten better copies. I only paid $10.00 for the full set (that would cost hundreds at the saddlery) and the sound is off, but I can still make out what he's saying. My friend who likes horses but doesn't know diddly-squat, wanted to watch them with me fell asleep through them and as a result still says "they're just like big dogs, see they like this" while he gives them a big ol' thumpy pat on the neck that makes a hollow sound and doesn't understand why I have to walk away when he does it pullhair.gif - PISSES ME OFF!!! Anyway, if anybody is interested, Monty Roberts is great. thumbsup2.gif

Visiting PuPPs Fan

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Oct 1 2005, 06:46 PM
Quote Post
Wow, amazing Nightshade!!! She is very pretty, and in good condition too. Its nice to hear happy news like that.

Pity about all our wonky old hips hey? lol.gif .

One day we'll need to go back to the horse life. One day when TSHTF. If we don't leave 3D behind first that is. Have an avenue open that leads back to horse.

I hope you've all kept all your gear. I like to have a set of brushes and lead ropes, halters bits of each size and a range of girths in your pack along with old 100% wool blankets (need them to sleep in when they're not under your saddle).

Has anyone seen that movie "The Postman" with Kevin Costner? http://www.thepostman.com

That will be MagIndi's time to shine. Hail to the one who tends Horse's feet!!!

I have to get out of Sydney. Can't travel to work anymore anyway, so I hope my employment matter is sorted out SOON. I'm getting very nervous here. sadoriginal.gif

Universal Migrator
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 1 2005, 10:45 PM
Quote Post
Monty Roberts is awesome, I read The Man Who Listens To Horses back when it came out and it opened up an amazing level of communication. I was already learning a lot from the horses in my life before that point, but afterwards began to develop a whole new level of understanding of the horses, of myself and of friendship. In retrospect, I think it's safe to say that it affected not only how I dealt with horses, but people as well, particularly the way in which very subtle actions can have a profound effect. I haven't seen any of the videos, but would like to get my hands on some of them one day.

Unfortunately when I left my parents' home, I did so with nothing more than the clothes on my back and everything I had left behind was sold or thrown out, including all my tack, lead ropes and brushes. Looks like when the day of the horse returns, I'll be riding bareback for a while! Good thing I used to practice riding without saddle and bridle out in the field, not to mention one of my early instructors who took away my stirrups for an entire year and had me ride hands free with the reins tied in a knot to keep them from being stepped on for months.

I hated it at first, but it taught me early on to view the saddle and bridle as aids rather than necessities (and to keep my heels down!!). Actually, it taught me early on that many things in life, not just with horses, that we consider to be necessary aren't so.

I still wouldn't want to ride a high withered horse bareback for miles without at least some padding though, my crotch is getting sore just thinking about it blinkNEW.gif

I've seen the postman, thought it was quite good smileNew4.gif

Ah yes, farriers will be in high demand, probably even more so than they were before the age of the automobile now that we've bred much of the hardiness and resilience out of our horses. I can't wait to see a day come when true skills and work ethic become more meaningfull than stupid buzzwords on a resume that you feel embarassed to add, but can't afford to leave out because too many once sensible and thinking people have become hollow idiots and then placed in charge and taught to seek out and produce more hollow idiots... grrr..

ahem.. I seem to have a little Mars in my sign...

Try not to get too nervous about things. Feels a little funny saying that considering I've been a nervous wreck lately, but then I've had a long reputation for having good advice but never following it myself. And being a nervous wreck certainly hasn't done me any good or made my situation any better! Have faith that things will be alright, there's no doubt that these are dark times for many of us right now, but the dawn is to come.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that this world is not static. Nothing ever stays the same as it was. The same goes for the dark times and troubled waters of the here and now.

hugs.gif

--------------------
Visiting PuPPs Fan

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Oct 2 2005, 02:34 AM
Quote Post
Hi Nightshade

I like that title of yours, "Day of The Horse", sounds like a good name for the day of TSHTF. It conveys all that horse is about, love, hope, endurance, mercy, compassion, servitude, nobility, ethics, and all things that good beings hold dear, reminds us that there is a way, and that will be key to light winning the age which emerges after that day.

The Man Who Listens To Horses is going to be my next book purchase (I've just decided), so next time I go to Horseland I'll look for it. The videos probably only give a fraction of the information in the book.

I did that no stirrups lesson too, but only for one day. I was used to riding bareback anyway and the teacher was amazed when he told me to rise to a trot without stirrups on my first lesson with him and I did. I found it a bit amusing, not because I was able to do it, but it had never occurred to me to bother with rising without stirrups when I wasn't bumping along anyway, I could stick in place ok. I never went without reigns though, I tried not to use them a whole lot, but never went without them, never did many professional lessons, never spent much time in the arena.

Speaking of seats, VIGGO MORTENSEN - aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! blushNEW.gif Have you seen that man on a horse? shock.gif He sits like a ROCK!!! OMG!!! What a seat that man has!!!!! Pity he smokes, I can't stand cigarettes (If you're reading Sir, please give it up, we actually do care, you put the light of the Great King before our eyes, and I know you are against the war for oil and all things cowardly, so please please please be healthy. Oh yeah, and Blessed Be Sir in all that you are) - well, blushNEW.gif couldn't blame a famous man if he had someone scanning the internet to see what people are saying about him and I hope he is prepared for The Day of The Horse too. Needless to say, a rather large image of Aragorn graces my living room wall. Sort of went off on a tangent there didn't I laughspin.gif

You'll do ok bareback for a while, just hold onto any pure wool blankets (to sleep in when you're not riding) and aquire or make a circingle winkNEW.gif . Halters are cheap and they pack away really small, just get a set (pony, cob, full) and keep them with some lead ropes in your 'Day of The Horse' kit. It won't take up much space.

DOWN WITH IDIOT FACTORIES - I can't stand all that office crap and resume tweeking and job applications and not seeing a product for my efforts and management techniques and bloody birthday cakes, holy hell those disgusting birthday cakes with the fake cream and waxy chocolate and plasticky cherries, it wasn't the sugar making me shake and wobble for hours afterwards I'm sure, and womens magazines on the coffee table and being in a confined space every day with people who think that these things make them successful or important or some such crap either. That is a rant I could carry on for hours (so I'll be merciful, and I won't). It took me thirteen months away from work for my stomach to calm down a bit (with the help of sedatives) and catch up on lost sleep and to clear my head enough to start really feeling some worth as a person while not moving bits of paper again headbanger.gif, its horrible, they were horrible, they were so afraid to rock the boat that it cost lives and I couldn't let them carry on costing lives... cry.gif it nearly cost the lives of my friend and his whole family. So alone, so afraid, so many nightmares, weakness results, invisible hands grabbing me at night, paralysed, hear the engines, feel needles...

I'm getting stronger with my will and spirit now, but if I was still in THAT office I'd be PUKING daily by now as well as the stress adding to my old mva damage pain. Its a dangerous deception that people play with when they think they are "earning a living", they are earning money, but that won't earn them a life. Not now, not on that day, not ever. Only making a life makes a living, making money is a parlour trick, ssssssmoke and compact mirrorssssss, sssso to sssspeak snake.gif. Good grief I do go on...

I agree with you that these times will pass. I've just had a hell of a decade and although I am conditioned to stressful circumstances, the idea of the next lesson, the next 'grading' experience being built on a foundation of what I've experienced so far, makes the next lesson/grading look really hard. I never feel up to tests, but hey, if it doesn't kill ya... Right? I tells ya, being "purified in the fire and made white" (biblical reference) - that seems to be referring to the effect that a consciensious life has on the hair follicles hugs.gif.

Hey Spacie waving.gif , its your turn again. I'll just keep busy for a while knitting.gif.

spacie

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Oct 2 2005, 06:36 AM
Quote Post
i am soooooo happy !
i am outside in the fresh air and we are watching some horses in a nice hilly field...

that is what reading this thread is doing for me !!

and my thoughts want to respond to everything that was touched here...

oiy.

i am getting older and my body hurts...
the last move i made...2 + years ago...when i had to sell my house and 25 acres...two horses...all my saddles.
he he
i KEPT a few bridles and lead ropes and brushes !

wow...
it is great to find out one of your horses is still alive and hopefully, well.

i don't know how the future will go...it feels like all will reach a breaking point.

right now, my head is pounding with some sinus attack.
they chemtrailed here all day yesterday.

'endangered' comes to mind.

oh yes...
my first mare had the smoothest back...no withers...we won first place a few times in pleasure type classes at local horse shows.

i have a video of monty also...
he could help kids, too.

VPF..i must also find a job...and i dread it daily.
i have not 'worked' for 20 years !
my ex did let me be a stay at home mom and since he traveled alot, i needed to be at home to take care of the animals and kids.

my last job was as a home health aide...where i would go see the elderly in their homes and help them.
i have friends that do that now...
dunno.
gas is an issue.

ok.
best wishes to all.......
he he

i am shooting for all of us going to the 6th dimension !
horse spirits too !!!!!

luv,
nanA.

garfieldjump2New.gif

Universal Migrator
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 2 2005, 06:41 PM
Quote Post
*butts out cigarette*

whistlingNEW2.gif

I know I need to quit, but it's my last vice that I've been hanging on to. Been waiting for a less stressfull time when I can deal with that and that alone.

Oh lord those terrible, awful, disgusting office birthday cakes... I just about hit the floor when I read that and now Laz is looking at me like I've completely lost it wondering what's so funny. He's never worked in an office setting, so he wouldn't understand about the birthday cakes. I always felt that those awful things were a perfect representation of the types of people you find there lol2.gif

I hate that we're all expected to spend our lives chasing dollar signs. I hate money. I hate the misery that money brings. I hate being told that I'm lazy, have no drive and am expecting something for nothing because I don't want to devote my life to the pursuit of money! I don't expect something for nothing, I expect something for something, whether that something in return be material, a kind word or a feeling of fullfillment. "Earning a living" in this Day Of Lies often means giving your all for nothing as the cost of living goes up and up and up and salaries go down and minimum qualifications go up (4 years of university and 3-5 years of directly related experience as a MINIMAL requirement for a menial job paying minimum wage made me laugh when I first saw it, chuckle the second time and damn near cry when I realized they were ALL like that.) I would like to go back to school to get my bachelor's in technology, but I need to eat and pay the bills in the meantime! Now maybe all of that would be okay if I had a sense of doing some good for someone, but most "jobs" these days aren't really essential skills, and aren't designed to make the world better, their designed to feed the elite. And we feed them, or they starve us. I have plenty of drive, but it's drive for a better way. They hate that. They only want people who have drive for THEIR way. THEY want marketing drones and "team players" in the office and trendy gossiping airheads in their stores and restaurants and mindless grunts in their warehouses. I was hopefull that maybe it was just offices that were completely messed up but since I've been looking for pretty much any kind of work that doesn't involve taking my clothes off, it's dawned on me quickly that everything is fucked up. It's kind of funny how finding a job is easily 10 times harder than working... Aaaaargh!!!

Age of Lies...honesty is a punishable offence these days. I have never been lied to by a horse.

I had a nice mix of formal lessons and free riding to bomb around, the two later went hand in hand. I'd built up a reputation as a pretty good rider and have never owned a horse to call my own, so finding someone willing to lease to me was never a problem, be it experienced riders who didn't have the time to give them the attention their horse needed or over-ambitious kids with well meaning parents who had bought them more horse than they knew how to handle (a big 4yo Dutch Warmblood gelding that I leased from a 10 year old girl who only had a few months of riding ponies under her belt comes to mind. Her parents wanted to get her an athletic horse that she wouldn't outgrow and could compete with! It never occured to them that he would behave differently than the school ponies, and this poor girl was scared and frustrated and her parents were upset because she didn't want to ride her new and expensive horse and they couldn't figure out why!..). Being an eventer was useful too because I wasn't confined to any single discipline.

Will definitely have to replace some of my lost gear... I can make out alright without much of it, but it certainly does make life easier, and I don't think that Laz has even been on a horse before, so throwing him in the deep end after TSHTF and hoping that those Hungarian horsemanship instincts kick in might not be the best idea!

I sent off an email to Nutmeg's owner, hoping to hear back smileNew4.gif I'm glad she's doing well, unfortunately I've been finding more information on some of the others I've been wondering about, and many of them aren't with us any more. /knowing is better than wondering I suppose.

Watching for new beginnings and dreaming of horses....

--------------------
Visiting PuPPs Fan

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Oct 3 2005, 06:19 PM
Quote Post
Sorry to hear about your battle with cig's Nightshade. I've never been a smoker so I can only try to imagine the difficult situation that puts you in emotionally as well as for your health. I do wish you the best with that battle hugs.gif . My father's wife has recently found out that she has lung cancer and its horrible even though they caught it early. She hadn't smoked for years, but even after winning her battle with the addiction, the poisons caught up with her. sadoriginal.gif I hope that your life situation improves so that you have the peacefulness and space you need to take care of that. dove2.gif

I'm hoping to get myself into a kinder more sensible industry soon. I'll have to get work somewhere since my leave ran out and my workplace says they don't have a suitable position for me. My union and solicitor both say not to resign whatever I do, and my workplace isn't getting rid of me, so I'm stuck and will only be able to do casual jobs here and there within medical restrictions while on leave without pay. They really love to make life as hard as possible, specially if you have the audacity to fail to stop someone in a 4wd from damaging 'their production machine' (my body!!!). SSssssuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkkkkssss!!!

I've been taking my friend to horse sales and properties, getting him near horses and the people who handle them (sometimes a strangers words sink in where mine don't) to get him learning the ground work. Stuff like "Never pull on his head, he'll pull back and get head shy, if he pulls back, let out some rope so there is no resistance" and "If his ears go flat against his neck its because he's expecting to have them bitten off for what he is about to do" and "See when his head goes down and the middle of his back goes up - that's called 'collecting' and it's a tightly coiled spring, his back feet will let the power out" and "see that hip twisting every time that foot goes down, that's bad, she has hips like mine" and "If it won't come near you in this little pen you've got buckley's of catching it in a field and you can't ride something you can't catch", things like that.

That way he'll at least have a proper approach and will understand the horse language in case there is no time for lessons before TSHTF. If I'm not there for whatever reason, he'll know which horses will be reliable and which will be weak or dangerous. I can only hope he ends up with a wide eggbutt snaffle bit in a middleaged mouth when that day comes. mutley.gif I picked up a good bridle for him at a garage sale (will fit a horse big enough to carry him) at 10% of what it would have cost new, so I hope we don't get separated too long in any mass panic. Next week sometime I'm going to sit him down with that bridle and a jar of leather conditioner and make him take the bridle apart, clean it and put it back together. That will be good diversional therapy for him in between his days of testifying against his nephew in Supreme Court (finally, no more adjournments wackoNEW.gif ).

Don't you just love those well meaning parents who buy the best of the best of the best for their beautiful elegant little darlings? lol.gif They scare the willies out of me. Every time I see them riding my brain goes into overtime trying to remember everything I learned in the St Johns First Aide Course. Its way to far to the ground from the back of a Warmblood. My friend asked me last week "What is a Warmblood" and I said "Its one of those expensive designer breeds. There are warmblood and coldblood horses, its supposed to be a structure and purpose classification, but someone crossed all sorts of things and called it a Warmblood and put a huge price tag on it". He said "I don't want one of those" (thank goodness he doesn't want one of those!!!), I wouldn't want one either, too big for me, I'm just a common paddock hack. lol.gif Your lessons would have come in very handy with that young one you leased. Fancy putting a 10 year old child on something like that, and how did they get all that money (what kind of job pays so much with so little brain) to buy and maintain a Warmblood for a 10 year old child with brains in the condition theirs were obviously in? That poor child, she must have been devastated and had her confidence completely crushed! I hate seeing things like that happen.

I hope Nutmeg's owner tells you everything you want to know. Maybe you'll be invited to visit, that would be nice.

flowerNEW.gif

Universal Migrator
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 3 2005, 09:16 PM
Quote Post
What really miffed me about the Warmblood situation was that the girls parents were angry with ME. When they leased him to me they had this idea in their mind that because I was an eventer who rode competitively, I was going to take him out, tear up the X-country field and jump in the grand prix and win lots of trophys.

Instead I halter broke him properly (it's amazing how many horses, even experienced show veterans, haven't been properly halterbroke. If a 10 yr old cannot lead him with a gentle touch and ask him to do simple things like lower his head, he is NOT halter broke. It's disturbing how many people think that the fact that you might be able to, with some muscle, drag a horse around on a lead line means they're halter broke!) I taught him ground manners and to respond to light pressure and body language. I taught him that plastic bags and clippers and trailers didn't have to be scary, awful things and neither did the bridle - he was extremely headshy, probably due to having the halter and bridle forced on him, and the pelham bit they were using on him certainly didn't help! A 4 yr old horse shouldn't have a hard mouth! He was wonderfully forward going, which is a beautiful thing when you're a relatively experienced rider whose main focus is dressage, but terrifying if you're a 10 year old kid learning to ride. It certainly didn't help him that most kids learning to ride, especially when scared believe that pulling hard on the reins is the brakes, and that pulling on this rein or that rein doesn't steer the horse like a bicycle. If you never release the pressure after he's responded correctly, he thinks he's done something wrong.

They were actually kind of pleased when I started teaching him proper carriage though, even if they couldn't understand that he wouldn't go round and on the bit for their daughter not because he didn't like her, or because (I love this one) "I trained him to only listen to me," but because she didn't know how to tell him what she wanted him to do.

Taking him out to shows just to let him have a look around and watch his stable buddies compete was always lots of fun, no pressure and plenty of people to tell him what a handsome boy he was! I remembered when I'd started riding, my teacher had recently bought a young warmblood and would bring him along to almost every show we went to, just to watch. When he got a little older, she would occasionally take him in some open classes with all the kids and ask the judge not to judge her, it did wonders and he never batted an eyelash in any sort of competition or environment, even when the sanest and "bombproof" ponies where freaking out.

I've always liked warmbloods, but even an older well schooled warmblood can be scary to a young kid with little experience. Then add into the mix this horse's very young age and lack of basic schooling... If you ever want to see the true meaning of having your head bitten off, try telling people like this that their little angel would be happier hacking around on a lazy paddock pony than on a horse she's afraid of. He was actually a very nice horse to work with, but he needed a calm hand and someone who could tell him "I will teach you, and it's good to listen to me because it's fun, and my decisions will always keep you safe and healthy." Competition should be something fun that you do with your friend to get out and try for goals together, never the sole purpose of your relationship.

I never had my own horse because my mother was a sort of hybrid of these types of parents. She never went off to buy me a big expensive show horse, but she'd always said that IF she were to ever buy me a horse, that's the only kind she would ever consider paying for, and on my own I've never had the financial means to buy and keep a horse. Wasting money on a one-eyed Nutmeg or any of the other "imperfect" horses I fell in love with over the years was absolutely out of the question, so I ended up doing a lot of free-leasing, which in itself was great because I got to meet and work with all kinds of horses.

So even though the warmblood parents made me want to stab myself in the eye with a hoof pick, it was awesome to have the opportunity to school a young horse who had so much potential from the ground up. smileNew4.gif

Thanks for the support regarding the cigs, one day I'll quit. All this talk about horses and remembering those good times is really helping me to center myself and calm down, and when I'm able to do that life and the world around me never fails to get better. I can also see the effects on my man, who'se been shall we say less than pleasant to be around these past few weeks lol2.gif

That's good that you're showing your friend the ropes around horses, he'll need to know what to do! Even when nothing's hitting the proverbial fan, it's good experience especially in stressfull times. Those quiet nights of cleaning tack are some of the calmest moments I've known.

Still waiting to hear back from Nutmeg's owner, even if I can't make the trip over to the island to visit her I'd like to at least get some more recent pictures of her. That little horse taught me so much.

Looks like we're all on the job hunt, so good luck to everyone. Try not to get an ulcer! bricks.gif

--------------------
Visiting PuPPs Fan

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Oct 3 2005, 10:53 PM
Quote Post
"...make me want to stab myself in the eye with a hoof pick" bustingupNEW3.gif I know that feeling! And "...trained him only to listen to me" headbanger.gif Now I'm laughing lol2.gif

You got it right with the bicycle observation. One of the really big problems that kids have with horses is that they learn to ride bicycles first (whilst daydreaming that their bicycle is a horse), and the position you sit in on a bike is anything but balanced, so it is natural for a kid to lean way too far forward with their legs all bent and their feet behind the girth, so the horse just keeps going forward, faster and faster. When that happens the kid doesn't feel safe enough to lean back because that position is unfamiliar to them and the big horse won't stop moving long enough for them to learn to lean back. Its a very difficult situation. When you add to that the fact that on a bicycle the strength of your arms and hands are what keep the front wheel in control and hence keep the bicycle upright and that the pressure on the handlebars is never realeased and you have one very messed up riding style.

I hope that Nutmeg's owner does send you some new pictures. Its nice to be thinking of something other than my messed up situation for a change. flowerNEW.gif

Universal Migrator
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 4 2005, 05:37 PM
Quote Post
Heh, I guess from a human perpective, leaning back and relaxing is about the last thing that should come naturally when a horse is being a bit strong.

I'd always had exactly the opposite problem when I was learning, partly because the only time my anxiety wasn't through the roof as a kid was when I was out riding, and partly because Nutmeg was one of my early riding experiences. She had a VERY strong buck (must have been the mustang in her) and being tense or leaning forward would immediately result in kissing the dirt.

So, while our instructor would be trying to convince about 4 other kids on ponies charging around like lunatics that they should relax and lean back, I'd be hearing "For Christ's sake Nicole, she's not a Lazy-Boy recliner!! Stick your boobs out!" (at 8 yrs old, I thought this was about the funniest thing anyone, anywhere had ever said)

Still, it's much easier to learn to sit up straight than it is to try to force yourself to relax. I was always more interested in teaching horses than people, but not teaching beginners how to handle horses on the ground often means being run over in the hallways! Consequently I also ended up teaching some of the very, very basics of riding to a few new students, and the first thing I'd always have them do out on the lunge line was to pretend that they were a sack of potatos and just feel and get used to the way the horse moves under them.

Heh heh...I'd see the regular instructors absolutely gritting their teeth wanting to immediately fix the kids' slumped over riding positions, but they understood what I was trying to do and never said anything smileNew4.gif

That was about it for my teaching career though, sack of potatos and taking the odd lesson out on the trails and horseback tag.

--------------------
Visiting PuPPs Fan

Unregistered

Mood: 

Posted: Oct 4 2005, 11:07 PM
Quote Post
Those kids you taught were lucky to have the opportunity you gave them, to just go along with the motion of the horse and get a feel for the natural paces and balance of the horse. That's important stuff to be familiar with, just like all that ground work, and it has to be experienced to be understood. Its all very nice to have good posture, but knowing which 'feel' through a muscle group underneath you is going to result in that almost unexpected lurch two feet to the left is also important (scarey plastic bags and snakes and yellow paint...) and sometimes you can't learn that through the thick wedgey knee pads of a $3,000.00 Bates Olympia Dressage saddle - I wouldn't even know what its like to sit in one of those lol.gif .

A nice long slow walk for a few hours with some little suggestions and observations does wonders for an absolute beginner. Its a pity that most paying students are bombarded with every riding technique straight up and have no time for getting familiar with the animals. I guess that's the fault of the 'time is money' way of learning things. Oh well, times will change hugs.gif .

Universal Migrator
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 5 2005, 03:01 AM
Quote Post
Its a pity that most paying students are bombarded with every riding technique straight up and have no time for getting familiar with the animals. I guess that's the fault of the 'time is money' way of learning things.

Ack! I've seen way too many kids whose instructors have been trying to get them to make their horse go round, but never explain WHY their horse should be carrying himself properly.

Then they discover that if they see-saw on the reins, the horse pulls its head in trying to escape from the pain and it LOOKS like just how their teacher said it should! Well, from the front anyways, if you ignore that he's trying to move the bit into the least sensitive part of his mouth or has his muzzle tucked right into his chest.

I can only imagine how people like the warmblood parents would have reacted had they actually paid me good money to spend an hour teaching their little angel that she is a sack of potatoes atombomb.gif

As for those $3000 dressage saddles... They definitely won't make you a better rider, but my god you'll NEVER want to dismount! Stupid thing's more comfortable than any piece of furniture in my home..

I'd figured, seeing as so much of riding is more of a "feel" thing than an exact science, and considering you can't really understand any of the riding concepts unless you've felt it happen (particularly things like collection), it doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to try to hammer them into a kid that will at best not understand, at worst completely ignore. Better to let them feel it and explain what's going on as it comes.. I'm sure that there must be others out there teaching The Potato Method smileNew4.gif

The terror of plastic bags are unforgettable, but I'd completely forgotten about the petrifying power of yellow paint!

--------------------

Topic OptionsPages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0821 ]   [ 17 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

"Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce."
~ James A. Garfield, President of the United States

MORE POLITICAL ART

"Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws."
~ Amschel Mayer Rothschild