Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox
The shoutbox is currently offline!

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Click Here and visit PuPPs FREE StuFF

This website contains controversial information that may be disturbing to some viewers.
The theories, conclusions and commentaries are presented in an attempt to reveal the hidden truths.
It is up to the viewer to determine what they choose to believe after evaluating all available sources of information.

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION
Does your government represent your best interests?

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

POLITICAL ART GALLERY

IMPORTANT TOPICS

1. U.S. NEWS MEDIA CAN LEGALLY LIE TO YOU
There is no law preventing the U.S. news media from intentionally lying to the public. Whistle blowers and honest reporters are fired for telling the truth.

2. FLUORIDE IS A TOXIN/POISON
Read the Poison Warning label on your toothpaste, then call the 800# and ask;
"Why do you put poison in my toothpaste?"

3. NEW FLU VACCINE IS LOADED WITH MERCURY
by Dr. Joseph Mercola

4. PEDOPHILES IN HIGH PLACES
Also: Conspiracy of Silence Video

5. ASPARTAME IS HARMFUL
Equal, Nutra-Sweet and over 6000 food and beverage products contain Aspartame

6. On September 10, 2001, Donald Rumsfeld held a press conference to disclose that over $2,000,000,000,000 (2 Trillion) in Pentagon funds could not be accounted for.
Such a disclosure normally would have sparked a huge scandal. However, the commencement of the [9/11] attack on the World Trade Center and The Pentagon the following morning would assure that the story remained buried.

http://drinkingwaterlosangeles.com
Serving the greater Los Angeles area,
Los Angeles Drinking Water is proud to offer Reverse Osmosis filtration systems
that remove trace elements such as arsenic, mercury, lead and fluoride
which are known to be in Los Angeles tap water according to
the 2013 DWP Water Quality report.
POLITICAL ART GALLERY

"If our nation is ever taken over, it will be taken over from within."
~ James Madison, President of the United States

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> RECORD HEAT

Truth Seeker
Group: Members
Member No.: 516
Mood: 

Posted: Sep 21 2005, 06:03 AM
Quote Post
Love your sig line, uggliozzi. scoping.gif

Ironically, with all the talk of extreme heat in this thread, our neck of the woods (southern Alberta) experienced the coolest, wettest summer I've seen since I moved here. Usually our summers are sunny and warm. This year I don't think we even *had* a proper summer! pissed.gif

--------------------
~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~
Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
~ Rumi
PMEmail Poster

Grouchy old bastard
Member No.: 556
Mood: 

Posted: Sep 21 2005, 05:05 PM
Quote Post
Thanx Impetuosity. It is not at odds with a warming Earth that some portions will experience a lowering of temperatures. It is the TOTAL earth that is warming. With the increase of energy in our atmosphere from the increased heat, weather patterns will change. Storms will become more violent and the weather will be more changeable and unpredictable. Some areas may experience a drop in temperatures for a number of years as changing air circulation patterns move cold air in a way it has not been moved before. However, eventually, even those places which currently experience a drop in temperature will start to get hotter.

I believe that one of the indicators of climate change is in the north of Canada, where it is reported that the tree line is marching towards the pole. Can you confirm this?

I live on the southern edge of the southern hemisphere desert zone. We are setting high temperature records nearly every month. Our seasonal changes appear to take place about 6 weeks later than they did in my childhood (a period of
fifty years) and almost half of Australia has been experiencing below normal rainfall for about eight years. I haven't seen any figures but I estimate that about 80% of Australians are subject to some sort of ongoing water use restrictions. Conversely some parts of desert Australia are getting monsoon rainfall where they did not before. I also hear that parts of the Sahara in Africa are also getting abnormal monsoon rains.

There is an old Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times." I think we are living in interesting times.

--------------------
So many ferals - so few bullets.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Truth Seeker
Member No.: 516
Mood: 

Posted: Sep 22 2005, 06:19 AM
Quote Post
I believe that one of the indicators of climate change is in the north of Canada, where it is reported that the tree line is marching towards the pole. Can you confirm this?

I haven't seen it with my own eyes, but I hear it is so. I do remember (and this was about 20 years ago, mind you!) that some people I was acquainted with were planning an expedition to the north pole and had to turn back because there was water where there was no water before.

Here's a clip from an interesting article about the north:
Inuit elders and hunters who depend on the land say they are disturbed by what they are seeing swept in by the changes: deformed fish, caribou with bad livers, baby seals left by their mothers to starve. Just the other year, a robin appeared where no robin had been seen before. There is no word for robin in Inuktitut, the Inuit language.
Click here for the rest of the article.

. . . and almost half of Australia has been experiencing below normal rainfall for about eight years.

Our area just came out of a seven-or-so-year drought, as well. In fact, our arid grasslands area had just been officially declared "desert" land when we started getting rain again! Last summer was wet, this summer was wetter yet. Strange stuff going on, I tell you.

I do agree that we cannot predict the effects that global warming will have on any one part of the world. We just have to ride it out and see how it goes, I guess. It's going to be a wild ride!

--------------------
~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~
Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
~ Rumi
PMEmail Poster

Minister Of Information
Member No.: 244
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 29 2005, 04:59 PM
Quote Post
And the hurricane count keeps going up with record breaking storms for this year. Who knows what next year may hold.

PMEmail Poster

Freedom Fighter
Member No.: 264
Mood: 

Posted: Nov 25 2005, 02:46 AM
Quote Post
October in Norway:
Oct 11th was really special with extreme heat-records all over the country from north to south. New record for October is now 25,6 C!!! (78F)
Overall October-temps were 2-3C (4-6F) above normal average temperature.

November turns out to be the same. Warmer than average.
And flash floods, new rain records, landslides...
hmm5.gif

PMEmail Poster

Minister Of Information
Member No.: 244
Mood: 

Posted: Nov 26 2005, 09:04 AM
Quote Post
Hello Blue Eyed, here in Arizona, it is hot one day, then cold the next. We are still above normal for this time of the year.

PMEmail Poster

Master Of His Domain
Group: Admin
Member No.: 8
Mood: 

Posted: Jan 4 2006, 03:40 AM
Quote Post
Australia battles wildfires as new year brings record heatwave
Bernard O'Riordan in Sydney
Monday January 2, 2006
The Guardian
Sydney sweltered through its hottest New Year's Day on record yesterday as blowtorch conditions pushed the mercury to 44.2C (112F), causing power blackouts and sparking more than 40 bushfires along Australia's east coast.

Homes and cars were destroyed, towns isolated and roads cut off as firestorms raged across parts of New South Wales, Victoria and the capital, Canberra.

At least 35 people were treated for heat exhaustion at Sydney's beaches and 100 people were rescued by lifeguards.

Five separate blazes burned out of control near Gosford, 50 miles north of Sydney, where at least three houses and seven cars were destroyed by fire. Six other homes were severely damaged.

Residents of the coastal town of Woy Woy and nearby Mount White were told to evacuate as two separate blazes joined to create a single front with 65ft flames, cutting the main freeway to Sydney and disrupting rail services. One local resident said the inferno was like a scene from hell. "Black smoke covering the sun, just scorching hot, 44 degrees. It's burning up here," he told ABC Radio.

Peter Williams, a motorist caught by the blaze on the F3 motorway north of Sydney, said: "We went round one corner and there were a lot of flames just beside the road not too far away. We went around the next one and there was fire all across the road. It's very hot, very smoky."

The Australian Reptile Park at Somersby, a popular tourist attraction, was in the path of the fire as it burned through dense, dry bushland. Seven water-bombing aircraft and 30 tankers were used to fight the fires, which authorities said may have been deliberately lit.

"Unfortunately it looks like we have had human intervention but whether that's accidental or deliberate remains to be seen," said Rebel Talbert from the Rural Fire Service.

Emergencies were also declared at Cootamundra and Junee in the Riverina fruit-growing region, where a farmer was taken to hospital after receiving burns to 60% of his body. Fires were also burning at Appin and Bulli, south-west of Sydney.

Lawrence Ryan, who owns a historic 1884 homestead in the Riverina, said a helicopter dropped four water bombs on his home just as flames reached its doorstep.

"We had buckets and hoses and a fuel pump in our swimming pool. We were just about to start losing valuable carriages and all sorts of things when the helicopter bomber came in and dumped four loads of water on us," he said.

The extreme heat was caused by north-westerly wind gusts moving from Australia's parched interior towards the coast.

The NSW weather bureau said yesterday's temperature was the highest recorded in Sydney on January 1. The previous hottest was in 1928, when the mercury reached 38C. Yesterday was also the second-hottest day ever in Australia's biggest city, which rarely experiences temperatures much higher than 30C. The hottest day was 45.3C in 1939.

Yesterday the temperature peaked at 44.2C in central Sydney at 4.30pm, while in outback New South Wales the temperature almost reached the half century, topping 47 degrees at Ivanhoe. A cool southerly change packing winds of 70mph reached Sydney around 9.30pm, and by midnight the temperature had dropped to 23C. But the winds brought down trees and power lines and fanned embers, making conditions hazardous for firefighters.

"The fires are going to be driven in a northerly direction now, our whole strategy has to change," said Phil Koperburg, the Rural Fire Service commissioner.

In Victoria, five houses and tens of thousands of pounds worth of crops, sheds and equipment were destroyed in a blaze at Stawell. About 22,000 acres of bushland were burnt out as 750 firefighters battled to contain a 19-mile fire front.

Fire crews were also on alert in Canberra where several small grassfires burned on the city's northern outskirts.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/st...1676386,00.html

Bushfires raze homes as Australia reaches 47C
By Kathy Marks in Sydney
02 January 2006
Bushfires razed at least 10 homes and threatened dozens more in south-eastern Australia yesterday as a heatwave brought temperatures of up to 47C (117F).

At least three houses were destroyed in Woy Woy, on the central coast 50 miles north of Sydney, and another 50 were evacuated. The fire service said that at least four fires were burning out of control in the area, with flames up to 20 metres high fanned by scorching winds. Seven cars were also ablaze in Woy Woy.

Thousands of firefighters tackled the blazes, supported by helicopters that dropped water on the flames. Major roads from Sydney to the central coast were closed, stranding thousands of holidaymakers who had flocked to the beaches to seek relief from the searing heat. It was the hottest New Year's Day on record in New South Wales and the second hottest January day.

In Sydney, the temperature reached 45C. An air-conditioning unit broke down at the airport and the heat caused power failures and delays in city train services, which were hit by faults in overhead wiring.

Sydney hospitals treated a stream of patients affected by the heat, particularly the elderly.

One man suffered burns to 60 per cent of his body after a fire scorched 58,068 acres of land in Junee, 180 miles south-west of Sydney.

"The fires are widespread and breaking out right across the state," said Rebel Talbert, a spokesman for the New South Wales Rural Fire Service.

The central coast fires were the worst of 44 burning across the state yesterday. In Victoria, a major fire destroyed seven homes as it swept across a 20-mile front, burning through bush and farmland and damaging dozens of properties. Two people were injured. Melbourne, the capital of Victoria, had its hottest New Year's Eve ever, with a high of 42.9C.

Authorities say a wet winter and spring followed by dry summer conditions have created an abundance of flammable material around the country, particularly in the New South Wales countryside.

Cooler conditions were expected by late yesterday evening but they could prompt fresh problems, with wind gusts of up to 50 miles per hour making fire behaviour very erratic.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/austra...ticle336090.ece

--------------------
"Ye shall know them by their fruits"
~ Matthew 7:16

"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
~ Buddha
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL

Master Of His Domain
Mood: 

Posted: Jul 19 2006, 12:13 AM
Quote Post
The heat here in So Calif has been pretty bad for weeks now. It really feels like I am in Las Vegas in the summer.

There have been no lingering contrails observed by me in many many weeks.

Usually, the fake clouds that the contrails form helps to block the sun.

After a long sip from her bottled water, Kennedy added, "This is not fit for human beings. Without air conditioning, I don't think many of us could last like this for too long."

Britain braced for record high temperature
Reuters
Tue Jul 18, 2006
LONDON - Temperatures could reach an all-time high in Britain on Wednesday as the heatwave tightens its grip, forecasters said.

There is a 30 percent chance Britain would swelter in its hottest-ever day, with warmer weather than the Caribbean, the Mediterranean and southeast Asia, the Met Office said on Tuesday.

The highest temperature ever recorded in Britain was 38.5 Celsius (101.3 Fahrenheit) at Faversham in Kent, on August 10, 2003.

"It is possible that the all-time record could be broken," the Met Office said.

It ascribed the current heatwave to warm air flowing across from Continental Europe but added in a statement that its research showed "significant human contribution" in the hot spells of recent years because of carbon dioxide emissions.

"This is a sign of things to come, with the current temperatures becoming a normal event by the middle of this century," it added.

The government issued a heatwave alert under a new system introduced after a 2003 heatwave which killed more than 2,000 people in Britain and 27,000 across Europe.

The Department of Health urged people to keep an eye on the elderly, young children and those with chronic disease.

"These temperatures are high enough to give rise to significant health risks," it said.

People should drink plenty of water, stay out of the sun between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. and wear loose-fitting clothes.

A smog warning was issued for most of England, with higher ozone levels causing breathing problems for some.

"Some people are more sensitive to ozone than others and may begin to notice an effect on their breathing," the Environment Department said. "Avoiding exercise outdoors in the afternoon can reduce exposure."

Bookmakers have slashed the odds on thermometers reaching 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.7 C).

"We could easily be left red faced on Wednesday," said William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams.

British workers should be allowed to leave their ties and jackets at home and go to work wearing shorts in a bid to stay cool, said the Trades Union Congress, which represents 70 unions with nearly seven million members.

By Thursday, the Met Office expects temperatures to start to fall as thundery showers spread from the southwest.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle....&src=rss&rpc=22

No Relief As Nation Swelters in Heat Wave
By JOANN LOVIGLIO
AP
Jul 18, 2006
PHILADELPHIA - Cheryl Kennedy had just one word to describe the stagnant, sticky, downright dense heat that blanketed the downtown business district and most of the nation.

"Insanity. Insanity!" she said.

After a long sip from her bottled water, Kennedy added, "This is not fit for human beings. Without air conditioning, I don't think many of us could last like this for too long."

She and millions of Americans may have no choice - the heat wave that has gripped most of the nation showed few signs of abating and may persist for some regions until the weekend.

Scores of communities Monday reported temperatures of more than 100 degrees: Redding, Calif., about 160 miles north of Sacramento, reached 110 degrees; Grand Junction in western Colorado hit 101; Russell, Kan., hit 108; The National Weather Service had a report of 120 degrees just outside Usta in northwest South Dakota.

The Northeast could get a break starting Tuesday night, with scattered showers and thunderstorms expected for parts of the region, but the heat was likely to persist in the southern Plains until Friday, according to the National Weather Service.

A 60-year-old woman was found dead of lung disease and heat stress in her Philadelphia home. In Arkansas, authorities blamed the heat for at least one death but did not release any details. On Saturday, a 3-year-old boy died in South Bend, Ind., after apparently locking himself inside a car in 90-degree heat.

The heat may have caused a New York subway train to lose power, stranding commuters for about 2 1/2 hours. About 70 people had to be evacuated. A transit spokesman said the power loss may have been caused when the "third rail" - which powers the train - buckled.

A train derailment in rural Oklahoma's Lincoln County on Monday afternoon might have been attributable to the heat, Highway Patrol Captain Stewart Meyer said. There were no injuries.

One of LaGuardia International Airport's four terminals and part of a second lost power in New York when high demand caused by the heat triggered equipment problems.

In Illinois, state officials made more than 130 office buildings available as cooling centers. Detroit cranked up the air conditioning in 11 of its libraries and invited the public to take refuge from the heat. In Kentucky, Louisville officials offered free fans or air conditioners to those in immediate need.

The heat pushed power consumption to a record in some states, and calls also went out for electricity conservation. California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ordered state offices to adjust thermostats and turn off nonessential lights for the rest of the week.

PJM Interconnection, which operates the electric grid for all or part of 13 states and the District of Columbia, asked people to reduce usage, especially between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.

In Chicago, the stifling weather prompted organizers of the Gay Games to deliver extra water and sports drinks to athletes. Spokesman Kevin Boyer said organizers asked competitors to bring extra ice and fluids to various events.

For some, the heat was a bonanza. Rick Boaz, owner of Oklahoma City AC Rescue, said his air conditioning installation and repair business is busier than ever.

"We're getting more business than we can handle - it's just the heat," Boaz said. "I'd hate for the heat to affect my business but the reality of it is, extreme temperatures drive my business."

At the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden, gorillas got frozen fruit treats, bears played with ice-covered fish, elephants were hosed down, and large fans, water sprinklers and kiddie pools helped other animals stay cool.

Health officials warned people to take precautions, such as never leaving children or pets in closed vehicles, wearing lightweight, loose clothing and drinking plenty of fluids.

Signs of heat exhaustion include complaints of weakness and of feeling faint, plus dizziness, nausea, headache and confusion. Sufferers should be moved to a cooler place and cooled down with fluid and wet cloths. Construction worker Chuck Trautman, 54, of Pittsburgh, spends his days outdoors working with a blow torch and wearing heavy protective gear.

"When you're burning with that torch, it makes it twice as hot," he said. "But you've just got to deal with it."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060718/D8IUBRL80.html

Paris swelters as heatwave descends on France
PARIS
July 17, 2006
(AFP)
Temperatures in Paris will soar to 36 degrees Celsius (97 degrees Fahrenheit) by midweek as a heatwave spreads to the north, forecasters said Monday, warning people to stay in the shade and drink plenty of water.

Twenty departments (counties) in southwest France are already under a heatwave alert, after temperatures climbed to 37 degrees Celsius at the weekend.

Parts of the country could even reach 40 degrees - with night-time temperatures everywhere in the low 20s - before the arrival of storms on Thursday and Friday, forecasters said.

The conditions have awoken comparisons with 2003, when 15,000 mainly elderly people died of heat-stroke and dehydration, and the
government was accused of failing to react quickly enough.

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_articl...cends+on+France

--------------------

"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
~ Buddha

Anarchaeologist
Member No.: 303
Mood: 

Posted: Jul 19 2006, 07:09 AM
Quote Post
It's been 108 all week here in North Texas but the thermometer in the kitchen read 112 yesterday. I've got some distant relatives in Alberta, Canada; maybe it's time to pay them a long visit.

Grouchy old bastard
Member No.: 556
Mood: 

Posted: Jul 19 2006, 11:32 PM
Quote Post
Scramble to save lives as heatwave hits Europe
(Reuters)
July 20 
LONDON - European governments scrambled to save lives in record high temperatures on Wednesday to avoid a repeat of the catastrophic heatwave of 2003 that killed 15,000 people in France and 2,000 in Britain.

In Britain, temperatures hit an all-time high for the month of July, touching 36.3 degrees Centigrade (97.34 Fahrenheit) south of London to edge out the previous record set in 1911.

Germany's national meteorological service said July was on the way to being the hottest since records began in many parts of the country.

In France, an 85-year-old man admitted to hospital and an 81-year-old woman found dead in her home were the first people believed to have died there because of the heat. Officials said nine people were believed to have died.

"We must be vigilant and still more vigilant," said French Health Minister Xavier Bertrand. "And pay more attention to the vulnerable and those who live alone."

Britain launched an emergency plan of extra visits to the elderly and vulnerable.

British bookmakers stopped taking bets temperatures would soar above 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.77C) for only the second time -- the first was in August 2003.

The searing heat and expected storms later in the week threatened to damage northern Europe's wheat crop just days before the harvest, especially hitting Germany and France.

Electricity grids were straining. In Britain the national grid warned that blackouts could be possible because of increased demand from air conditioners.

France's main electricity provider EDF said it had to buy power abroad. Not only did demand rise, but the company had to curtail production to maintain safety at nuclear power plants cooled by river water.

The mayor of Paris announced free residential parking and advised people to avoid motorized transport to reduce the danger of ozone pollution.

EXTRA WATER

At Buckingham Palace, officials laid on extra water for 8,000 guests at a garden party for military veterans after several guests at a similar palace event fainted on Tuesday.

"There is shade for them, all the marquees are used, there's lots of helpers on hand for any guests who may feel unwell," a palace spokesman said.

The House of Commons issued a special "shirt-sleeve order" allowing journalists covering Britain's parliament to break with convention and enter the chamber without a jacket.

In the Netherlands, organizers canceled a four-day walking event after two participants died of the heat on Tuesday. Firefighters handed out water to drivers stuck in traffic jams.

Police said a 14-year-old boy in central England drowned in a canal after he jumped in to cool off.

In Ireland, firefighters battled a gorse blaze close to a beach south of Dublin on Tuesday after temperatures pushed above 30 degrees Centigrade for the first time in more than a decade.

Newspapers tried to help people cool off. Germany's biggest-selling daily Bild published a list of the coolest places in Berlin, including the fish counter at the Karstadt department store and the penguin house at the zoo.

(Additional reporting by Reuters bureaus in Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin and Dublin)

And here is southern Australia we have had a whole string of days of low overnight temperatures. There have been no figures yet but I think we have set the record for the number of cold nights. Normally at this time of year our weather is dominated by a series of low pressure systems bringing cold fronts and showers. This year we have had one large high pressure system after the other. These highs bring winds off the land and so the air is cold and dry. West Australia has already downgraded its predicted grain harvest to half normal because of the winter drought. It will be interesting to see what happens in Victoria because they are already suffering from low water supplies and if they don't get a top up might have to spend the summer with extreme water restrictions. And all this is in a year which should have had excessive rainfall due to being a year of La Nina.

The planet fights back!

--------------------
So many ferals - so few bullets.

Master Of His Domain
Mood: 

Posted: Jul 24 2006, 05:10 AM
Quote Post
119 Degrees F in Woodland Hills California on July 22nd, 2006

In Woodland hills California temperatures have been scorching with 23 straight days with temperatures over 100 degrees with 110 F on July 14, 112 F on July 21st and 119 F on July 22nd.

It's supposed to be 108 today.

I cannot afford to run my outdated wall unit A/C, and since my jewish landlord had all of the nice shade trees cut down in my courtyard, the sun just beats down on my apartment walls. At times, it has been almost unbearable.

sweating.gif sweating.gif sweating.gif sweating.gif

--------------------

~ Buddha

Master Of His Domain
Mood: 

Posted: Jul 24 2006, 06:38 AM
Quote Post
Europe swelters in continuing heatwave
AFP
July 20, 2006
Vast swathes of Europe have baked in tropical temperatures that have claimed nine lives in France alone, but summer thunderstorms brought some welcome relief.

A 32-year-old man died in Spain after suffering heatstroke while working on a farm in Caceres in the east, local health authorities said on Thursday. He was Spain's third heatwave victim after a builder died in Murcia in the south on Sunday and a 44-year-old man died on Tuesday in Galicia in the northwest.

Sixteen people have died so far across Europe, where thermometers have hovered over the 30 degrees Celsius mark (86 degrees Fahrenheit) for several days, but authorities in France said that measures implemented following the 2003 heatwave had averted another disaster.

More than 35,000 mainly elderly people died across Europe in 2003, including about 15,000 in France, as a result of dehydration and heat stroke.

In recent days, at least nine people have died from heat-related deaths in France. Germany, the Netherlands and Spain have reported two deaths each.

Parisians got welcome relief from the suffocating heat on Thursday as the city opened its annual artifical beach along the banks of the capital's Seine river.

The four-week-long Paris Plage initiative was extended this year with the creation of another beach on the Left Bank and a second swimming pool where residents and tourists could escape the summer heat.

Britain also sweltered with temperatures rivalling many of Europe's traditional summer hotspots such as Rome or Athens.

The thermometer hit 36.3 C just south of London on Wednesday, the hottest July day since 1911 when records began. The all-time record of 38.5 C, set in August 2003, still stands.

Meteorologists in Britain estimated that temperatures had peaked for the week but many counties, particularly in the south, were still expected to swelter in over 30 C. The average temperature in Britain in July is 22 C.

Denmark also recorded exceptionally high temperatures with beaches and parks packed by residents seeking cool water or shade.

The heatwave has been a boon for many Danish businesses as ice-cream sales have shot up 21 percent, sunglasses by 50 percent and entries to children's swimming pools have increased 25 percent.

But the heat has also brought drought.

Several Polish deputies on Thursday held mass in the parliamentary chapel to pray for rain.

Fires have flared across Europe as baked earth and scorched vegetation have created ideal conditions to fan flames far and wide.

In Portugal, 700 firefighters are battling at least nine separate forest fires across the country in temperatures reaching 41 C.

More than 600 hectares (1,500 acres) of agricultural land was destroyed by blazes in France on Wednesday alone.

In central and northern Croatia, more than 250 hectares of forest and woodland have gone up in smoke over the last two days, local television stations reported.

The head of a French research laboratory said the unusually high temperatures were linked to global warming.

"The rules are changing, there's no doubt about it. This is the start of a process. We can expect heatwaves to be more frequent and more extreme as a result of the general rise in temperatures linked to greenhouse gas emissions," said Herve Le Treut, director of the National Centre for Scientific Research.

Germany said the exceptional heat had increased ozone pollution to potentially harmful levels in parts of the country and only storms could clear the air. "We are at the start of a cycle of ozone pollution," said an official at the federal bureau for the environment.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/20/0...3.lh3m3jic.html

--------------------

~ Buddha

Truth Seeker
Member No.: 55
Mood: 

Posted: Jul 24 2006, 10:50 AM
Quote Post
I grew up without a/c, but I don't know how I'd survive now. I also doubt it ever got over 100 on the Texas coast where I lived.

PMEmail Poster

Master Of His Domain
Mood: 

Posted: Jul 26 2006, 08:41 AM
Quote Post
Thousands of people in the San Fernando Valley have been without power since Saturday as several 25 year old outdated transformers have burned up.

DWP has failed to upgrade for years, even though they rake us over the coals with high energy costs.

56 people have died in California since the heatwave began 20 days ago.

--------------------

~ Buddha

Master Of His Domain
Mood: 

Posted: Jul 27 2006, 07:27 AM
Quote Post
Netherlands:
Hottest temperatures since records began in 1706

Great Britain:
Hottest temperature for July in over 120 years.

Source: KTLA News

--------------------

~ Buddha

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0467 ]   [ 17 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

"Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce."
~ James A. Garfield, President of the United States

MORE POLITICAL ART

"Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws."
~ Amschel Mayer Rothschild