Printable Version of Topic
Click here to view this topic in its original format
PuPP's Theories Forum > HÆLTH and NUTRITION > Don't put plastic in Microwave oven


Posted by: Mark Sep 28 2006, 01:45 PM
I try not to use the microwave oven as much as possible. When my last microwave oven stopped working a few years ago, I was not going to replace it.
My gf's sister, however, bought us a new one for xmas.

Back when I lived with my mom, in our "leased" home in Chatsworth CA, after she passed away and I lost my career job, I had to sell most of the households contents.

When I moved our microwave oven from its table, there was a burn mark on the table top about 3 or 4 inches wide.

Obviously, there was a leak and I am sure that it was not good for us!

Received in email...
QUOTE
Dioxin chemicals causes cancer, especially breast cancer.
QUOTE
Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies.

Recently, Dr. Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital, was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us.

He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This especially applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body.

Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, only without the dioxin. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper isn't bad but you don't kno w what is in the paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc.

He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.

Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food.

Cover food with a paper towel instead.

Powered by Invision Power Board (http://www.invisionboard.com)
© Invision Power Services (http://www.invisionpower.com)