Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox
The shoutbox is currently offline!

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Click Here and visit PuPPs FREE StuFF

This website contains controversial information that may be disturbing to some viewers.
The theories, conclusions and commentaries are presented in an attempt to reveal the hidden truths.
It is up to the viewer to determine what they choose to believe after evaluating all available sources of information.

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION
Does your government represent your best interests?

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

POLITICAL ART GALLERY

IMPORTANT TOPICS

1. U.S. NEWS MEDIA CAN LEGALLY LIE TO YOU
There is no law preventing the U.S. news media from intentionally lying to the public. Whistle blowers and honest reporters are fired for telling the truth.

2. FLUORIDE IS A TOXIN/POISON
Read the Poison Warning label on your toothpaste, then call the 800# and ask;
"Why do you put poison in my toothpaste?"

3. NEW FLU VACCINE IS LOADED WITH MERCURY
by Dr. Joseph Mercola

4. PEDOPHILES IN HIGH PLACES
Also: Conspiracy of Silence Video

5. ASPARTAME IS HARMFUL
Equal, Nutra-Sweet and over 6000 food and beverage products contain Aspartame

6. On September 10, 2001, Donald Rumsfeld held a press conference to disclose that over $2,000,000,000,000 (2 Trillion) in Pentagon funds could not be accounted for.
Such a disclosure normally would have sparked a huge scandal. However, the commencement of the [9/11] attack on the World Trade Center and The Pentagon the following morning would assure that the story remained buried.

http://drinkingwaterlosangeles.com
Serving the greater Los Angeles area,
Los Angeles Drinking Water is proud to offer Reverse Osmosis filtration systems
that remove trace elements such as arsenic, mercury, lead and fluoride
which are known to be in Los Angeles tap water according to
the 2013 DWP Water Quality report.
POLITICAL ART GALLERY

"If our nation is ever taken over, it will be taken over from within."
~ James Madison, President of the United States

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The wave that destroyed Atlantis

The Great Ving
Group: Members
Member No.: 219
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 21 2007, 10:24 AM
Quote Post
The wave that destroyed Atlantis
By Harvey Lilley
20 April 2007
BBC Timewatch 
The legend of Atlantis, the country that disappeared under the sea, may be more than just a myth. Research on the Greek island of Crete suggests Europe's earliest civilisation was destroyed by a giant tsunami

Until about 3,500 years ago, a spectacular ancient civilisation was flourishing in the Eastern Mediterranean.

The ancient Minoans were building palaces, paved streets and sewers, while most Europeans were still living in primitive huts.

But around 1500BC the people who spawned the myths of the Minotaur and the Labyrinth abruptly disappeared. Now the mystery of their cataclysmic end may finally have been solved.

The wave would have been as powerful as the one that devastated the coastlines of Thailand and Sri Lanka on Boxing day 2004 leading to the loss of over 250,000 lives

A group of scientists have uncovered new evidence that the island of Crete was hit by a massive tsunami at the same time that Minoan culture disappeared.

"The geo-archaeological deposits contain a number of distinct tsunami signatures," says Dutch-born geologist Professor Hendrik Bruins of the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev in Israel.

"Minoan building material, pottery and cups along with food residue such as isolated animal bones were mixed up with rounded beach pebbles and sea shells and microscopic marine fauna.

"The latter can only have been scooped up from the sea-bed by one mechanism - a powerful tsunami, dumping all these materials together in a destructive swoop," says Professor Bruins.

The deposits are up to seven metres above sea level, well above the normal reach of storm waves.

"An event of ferocious force hit the coast of Crete and this wasn't just a Mediterranean storm," says Professor Bruins.

Big wave

The Minoans were sailors and traders. Most of their towns were along the coast, making them especially vulnerable to the effects of a tsunami.

One of their largest settlements was at Palaikastro on the eastern edge of the island, one of the sites where Canadian archaeologist Sandy MacGillivray has been excavating for 25 years.

Here, he has found other tell-tale signs such as buildings where the walls facing the sea are missing but side walls which could have survived a giant wave are left intact.

"All of a sudden a lot of the deposits began making sense to us," says MacGillivary.

"Even though the town of Palaikastro is a port it stretched hundreds of metres into the hinterland and is, in places, at least 15 metres above sea level. This was a big wave."

But if this evidence is so clear why has it not been discovered before now?

Tsunami expert Costas Synolakis, from the University of Southern California, says that the study of ancient tsunamis is in its infancy and people have not, until now, really known what to look for.

Many scientists are still of the view that these waves only blasted material away and did not leave much behind in the way of deposits.

But observation of the Asian tsunami of 2004 changed all that.

"If you remember the video footage," says Costas, "some of it showed tonnes of debris being carried along by the wave and much of it was deposited inland."

Volcanic eruption

Costas Synolakis has come to the conclusion that the wave would have been as powerful as the one that devastated the coastlines of Thailand and Sri Lanka on Boxing day 2004 leading to the loss of over 250,000 lives.

After decades studying the Minoans, MacGillivray is struck by the scale of the destruction.

"The Minoans are so confident in their navy that they're living in unprotected cities all along the coastline. Now, you go to Bande Aceh [in Indonesia] and you find that the mortality rate is 80%. If we're looking at a similar mortality rate, that's the end of the Minoans."

But what caused the tsunami? The scientists have obtained radiocarbon dates for the deposits that show the tsunami could have hit the coast at exactly the same time as an eruption of the Santorini volcano, 70 km north of Crete, in the middle of the second millennium BC.

Recent scientific work has established that the Santorini eruption was up to 10 times more powerful than the eruption of Krakatoa in 1883. It caused massive climatic disruption and the blast was heard over 3000 miles away.

Costas Synolakis thinks that the collapse of Santorini's giant volcanic cone into the sea during the eruption was the mechanism that generated a wave large enough to destroy the Minoan coastal towns.

It is not clear if the tsunami could have reached inland to the Minoan capital at Knossos, but the fallout from the volcano would have carried other consequences - massive ash falls and crop failure. With their ports, trading fleet and navy destroyed, the Minoans would never have fully recovered.

The myth of Atlantis, the city state that was lost beneath the sea, was first mentioned by Plato over 2000 years ago.

It has had a hold on the popular imagination for centuries.

Perhaps we now have an explanation of its origin - a folk memory of a real ancient civilisation swallowed by the sea.

Timewatch: The wave that destroyed Atlantis is on BBC Two at 2100BST on Friday 20 April, 2007.

PMEmail PosterAOL

Anarchaeologist
Member No.: 303
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 24 2007, 02:39 PM
Quote Post
I'm sure that will be of interest to mainstream archaeologists in solving the riddle of the sudden disappearance of the Minoan civilization but I don't see any real connection with Atlantis. Various skeptics have tried to reconcile Plato's account of the 9,000 BC destruction of Atlantis with the explosion of Thera thousands of years later by jumping through all kinds of mathematical hoops to show that Plato added too many zeros. I haven't found that convincing. It is far simpler for skeptics to dismiss the Timaeus and Critias as works of philosophical fiction than to try and reconcile the many discrepancies within the works and what is presently known from the archaeological record. In this case I think the Atlantis connection stems from the popular press' tendency to connect any ancient civilization discovery with Atlantis to snag readers.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Master Of His Domain
Group: Admin
Member No.: 8
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 24 2007, 03:43 PM
Quote Post
Perhaps the Minoans, a dark skinned (and lighter skinned mix of) peoples were a part of Atlantis.... that fabled ancient mythological civilization.

I've done a lot of research and studying on the Minoans and they were one of the most advanced societies known in their time.

To be blunt, at the moment, Platos tale of Atlantis is merely just a nice fairy tale to me.

But make no mistake...I fully believe the dark skinned peoples of Earth were far more advanced than the savages and natives we are taught to believe inhabited the Earth when the white colonizers began their explorations and conquests of a millenium or so ago.

Those conquests continue today.... in Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine, Afghanistan (which the proxy Soviet Union started in the 1990s and then the proxy US took over) and soon Iran.

The colonizers stage and wage wars in native lands and then occupy and conquer those lands after the villages are burned and the natives displaced.

The colonizers then re-draw the maps and divide the lands and resources amongst their greedy partners/bloodlines and then they take advantage of the cheap slave labor of the peoples they conquered.

--------------------
"Ye shall know them by their fruits"
~ Matthew 7:16

"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
~ Buddha
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL

Anarchaeologist
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 24 2007, 05:57 PM
Quote Post
I agree Mark. Atlantis seems to be a metaphor at best and though Plato likely did not invent it out of the whole cloth, the thrust of his writing was philosophical. The Minoans, the Sea Peoples and the Phoenicians at least offer tangible evidence to follow with regard to an early widespread advanced culture. As I've stated before, Gobekli Tepe offers the first serious proof we have of an advanced culture around 10,000 BC which is close to Plato's date.

Master Of His Domain
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 24 2007, 06:31 PM
Quote Post
Gobekli Tepe.... is that in India?

--------------------

"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
~ Buddha

The Great Ving
Member No.: 219
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 24 2007, 09:08 PM
Quote Post
Hello Tex. waving.gif

hmm5.gif I'll have to check some of my research materials but it seems like the Minoans were part of a trade cartell that included the Hitites, Egyptians, and a few other sea faring cultures that may have also included one of the central or south american cultures. Atlantis itself was kind of like America is today... If I remember correctly, there were ancient ruins found off the coast of Cuba that were said to be at a depth of 2000 feet which could only be explained by a event similar to what caused that Tsunami. A sudden plate drop. After the collapse of the minoan empire, the Phoenecians kind of inherited their old trade routes.

PMEmail PosterAOL

Anarchaeologist
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 24 2007, 11:05 PM
Quote Post
Hello, DarmonVing, yes that jibes with what I recall as well. Greg Little has found something conclusive at the Bimini Road which will be released shortly. He has maintained that the Bimini Road and surrounding area was a Phoenician staging point and the road is similar to Phoenician harborworks in the Old World. Nothing new has been reported on the Cuba ruins for about two years or more.

Mark, Gobekli Tepe is in Anatolia(Turkey) and the discovery of a buried temple dating to 10,000 BC was made by a German team last summer.

Master Of His Domain
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 25 2007, 03:48 AM
Quote Post
Mark, Gobekli Tepe is in Anatolia(Turkey) and the discovery of a buried temple dating to 10,000 BC was made by a German team last summer.

Thanks Tex!

--------------------

~ Buddha

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0443 ]   [ 17 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

"Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce."
~ James A. Garfield, President of the United States

MORE POLITICAL ART

"Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws."
~ Amschel Mayer Rothschild