Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox
The shoutbox is currently offline!

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Click Here and visit PuPPs FREE StuFF

This website contains controversial information that may be disturbing to some viewers.
The theories, conclusions and commentaries are presented in an attempt to reveal the hidden truths.
It is up to the viewer to determine what they choose to believe after evaluating all available sources of information.

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION
Does your government represent your best interests?

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

POLITICAL ART GALLERY

IMPORTANT TOPICS

1. U.S. NEWS MEDIA CAN LEGALLY LIE TO YOU
There is no law preventing the U.S. news media from intentionally lying to the public. Whistle blowers and honest reporters are fired for telling the truth.

2. FLUORIDE IS A TOXIN/POISON
Read the Poison Warning label on your toothpaste, then call the 800# and ask;
"Why do you put poison in my toothpaste?"

3. NEW FLU VACCINE IS LOADED WITH MERCURY
by Dr. Joseph Mercola

4. PEDOPHILES IN HIGH PLACES
Also: Conspiracy of Silence Video

5. ASPARTAME IS HARMFUL
Equal, Nutra-Sweet and over 6000 food and beverage products contain Aspartame

6. On September 10, 2001, Donald Rumsfeld held a press conference to disclose that over $2,000,000,000,000 (2 Trillion) in Pentagon funds could not be accounted for.
Such a disclosure normally would have sparked a huge scandal. However, the commencement of the [9/11] attack on the World Trade Center and The Pentagon the following morning would assure that the story remained buried.

http://drinkingwaterlosangeles.com
Serving the greater Los Angeles area,
Los Angeles Drinking Water is proud to offer Reverse Osmosis filtration systems
that remove trace elements such as arsenic, mercury, lead and fluoride
which are known to be in Los Angeles tap water according to
the 2013 DWP Water Quality report.
POLITICAL ART GALLERY

"If our nation is ever taken over, it will be taken over from within."
~ James Madison, President of the United States

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 'Barbaric' Baby Seal Slaughter, WARNING: [GRAPHIC IMAGES]

Master Of His Domain
Group: Admin
Member No.: 8
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 4 2004, 07:46 AM
Quote Post
How anyone can do this just blows me away.

How can you not feel compassion for these animals?

I've read that many times the seals are being slaughtered because the fisherman are complaining that the seals are eating too much fish.

New Sport For Tourists: Killing Baby Seals
Wildlife And Animal Rights Groups Condemn Norway's Culling Holidays
By Juliette Jowit and Hildegunn Soldal
The Observer - UK
10-3-4

Heartless, mindless cruelty by subhuman scum.

A defenseless baby seal is bashed in the skull until dead

user posted image

It is the ultimate form of extreme holiday 'fun'. Tourists, bored with SAS survival weekends, trekking trips in the Antarctic and booking space flights with Richard Branson, will soon be able to fly to Norway - and shoot baby seals.

The decision to launch the vacations - which have aroused the fury of animal rights groups - follows the recent move by the Norwegian government to expand its annual culling of seals so that amateur enthusiasts can join in.

The aim is to bring about a dramatic increase in the number of deaths of seals, which are blamed by fishermen for devastating drops in the North Sea marine stocks. But the effect has been to outrage conservation groups.

'Killing a baby seal is about the easiest thing you can do if you're inclined to be sadistic; you certainly can't say there's any sport in it - the animal is totally defenceless,' said Paul Watson, founder and president of the radical Sea Shepherd group.

The expansion of Norway's seal cull comes into force in January, following intense lobbying by fishermen, who say the country's large seal population is not only devastating cod and other fish stocks but is infecting other marine life with parasites.

Companies are already offering holidays to both experienced hunters and beginners to take advantage of this relaxation of rules. NorSafari is advertising on the internet for trips that start at 1,400 kroner - about £110 - for a day's hunting and one seal. This rises to 8,200 kroner, or £650, for four days and the guarantee of two seals.

The company's website shows photos of hunters posing with their kill and offers trips that not only include accommodation and food but help with cutting up and preserving seal carcasses. Training is available for beginners, it adds.

user posted image

Some packages offer a refund to disappointed hunters who don't kill the advertised catch. Extra seals shot will cost another 500 kroner, while another company, Polar Events, advertises: 'We will make sure that your hunt is one not soon forgotten.'

Professional seal hunters have traditionally used clubs to kill seals, but Polar Events' boss, Kjetil Kristoffersen, said tourists would be given rifles to hunt their prey.

'Seals have been hunted in Norway for many years and it's part of the culture,' said Kristoffersen. 'We want people who are interested in hunting, not people who just come to shoot the animal... the tradition up here in Norway [is] we hunt the seal to eat it; it's food.'

Animal rights activists and conservation groups fear that helpless baby seals will become the prime, easy targets of tourists. They also warn that seals are in danger of being over-hunted.

Seal hunting has been a tradition in Norway for thousands of years, but has dwindled recently with only about half the annual 1,200 quota being killed each year. Despite this, under pressure from fishermen the quota was raised to more than 2,000 a couple of years ago.

The decision to include tourists in a practice which, until now has been confined to local experts, is designed to help meet that quota.

Announcing the plan, Norway's Fisheries Minister, Svein Ludvigsen, said the move would 'restore the balance' between fish and seals along Norway's coast and claimed that the hunting of seals was no different from hunting moose. Others liken the practice to hunting foxes, big game or even fish and birds. 'This could be a big hit,' added the minister, whose father was a trawler captain.

This optimism is not shared by many others outside Norway, however, and last week the government appeared to be backing down from its enthusiastic endorsement of seal-hunting holidays on its shores. Ministers worry that the move, even if popular with hunters, will damage the country's image for the majority of tourists.

'This is certainly not an image we are keen to be portrayed with,' said Eirik Bergesen, an information adviser for the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, although he stressed that 'for ordinary hunting you can come to Norway and hunt, so what we're doing is actually bringing the rules for seal hunting in accordance with those other hunting laws and guidelines'.

user posted image

Vacation in the great outdoors! The fresh air! The crimson snow!

user posted image

The idea of the holidays was also attacked by the International Fund for Animal Welfare. 'Tourists should be encouraged to enjoy and protect wild animals in their natural habitat rather than kill them,' said spokeswoman Gill Sanders.

Some campaigners have disputed the fishermen's claims that there is a link between seals and the decline in fish stocks. 'That's never been scientifically proven,' added Maren Esmark, marine conservation officer for the Norwegian branch of wildlife charity WWF.

Some argue that over-fishing is the cause of devastated fish stocks. Seals, they point out, have happily coexisted with other marine life for most of their history.

'Our position is more seals, more fish,' said Watson. 'The biggest predator of fish like cod is other fish - and seals keep fish like that in check.'

So far, it is unclear how popular the hunts will prove with visitors, however. Polar Events has had no overseas bookings yet. But the website for NorSafari says 'many of the people we have spoken to would like to come to Norway to go seal hunting. Already there is sufficient interest for us to invite hunters to an exciting hunt.' And the Norwegian Hunting and Fishing Association told Jeger (Hunter) magazine there was expected to be interest abroad, especially from Germany.

Other tasteless trips

Iraq: thrill-seeking travellers visit the war zones

US: trophy-hunters shoot old zoo animals such as lions and elephants, sometimes when they are chained up

Africa: safari hunters compete to shoot the most big game - often including endangered species

Britain: tour company offers the chance to sleep rough like a homeless person

Norway: trippers spend a day whale-watching ... then tuck into whale steak for supper

Faroe Islands: visitors go out in boats to watch local whale hunters

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2004 http://www.guardian.co.uk/conservation/sto...1318631,00.html

There appears to be a 'certain type' of being, which looks and appears human but does not have compassion for animal or human life living amongst.

This type of being also destroys the very thing which sustains life for everyone, Mother Earth.

--------------------
"Ye shall know them by their fruits"
~ Matthew 7:16

"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
~ Buddha
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL

Freedom Fighter
Group: Members
Member No.: 237
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 4 2004, 08:08 AM
Quote Post
Horrifying and outrageous.

Only void entities could do that savageness.

smile.gif

Thessa

--------------------
“And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (NKJV)
PMEmail Poster

Truth Seeker
Member No.: 85
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 4 2004, 09:27 AM
Quote Post
This is plain ridiculous. Just goes to show what effect small lobbying groups have on large governments.

You should only kill animals in self protection or if you intend to eat it. They should make those sick F*cks eat all the baby seals they kill.

--------------------
Know thyself, and know thy enemy, needn't fear result in a 100 battles.
Know thyself, but know not thy enemy, find victory and defeat in equal measure.
Know not thyself and know not thy enemy, succumb in every battle.
-Sun Tzu-
PMEmail PosterICQAOL

Master Of His Domain
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 4 2004, 09:43 AM
Quote Post
Pretty pathetic isn't it?

You should only kill animals in self protection or if you intend to eat it.

As with all animals on earth.

When ESPN has a sportsman show on and they are deer hunting or any type of hunting I must change the channel.

I just cannot handle watching it and I want to take the gun and stick it up his ... and fire!

--------------------

"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
~ Buddha

Truth Seeker
Member No.: 85
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 4 2004, 10:10 AM
Quote Post
Mark, that is just sick on any level. What kind of sport is it clubing a helpless creature??? And these people are not starving so they have no GOOD reason to kill anything.

I had a friend from Puerto Rico, among other things he was taught to capture animals, and if you killed the animal by mistake, the elders made you eat it.

Make those sickoes lick damned blood off the ice!

--------------------
Know thyself, and know thy enemy, needn't fear result in a 100 battles.
Know thyself, but know not thy enemy, find victory and defeat in equal measure.
Know not thyself and know not thy enemy, succumb in every battle.
-Sun Tzu-
PMEmail PosterICQAOL

Freedom Fighter
Member No.: 264
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 12 2004, 12:33 AM
Quote Post
Going anywhere nice this year?

Visitors to Norway will be invited to liven-up their holiday with a spot of seal hunting. Conservationists are appalled, but it's not the first time the tourist industry has been accused of bad taste. The antics of British holiday makers are called into question almost as often as a plane load of hormonal teens touches down on some hapless Mediterranean isle.  But as the last stragglers on Europe's sun-kissed beaches travel home for the winter, a new source of moral outrage has emerged to take its place.

user posted image

Come January, Norway will allow tourists to take part in its annual seal cull as part of their break. It's not going down well with animal lovers, who claim the idea is "sadistic".  It's one of several examples, listed below, of thrill-seeking vacationers stretching the limits of just what is acceptable.

The visitors will be allowed to shoot the seals and will have to adhere to strict guidelines, says the government. But environmental group Greenpeace has warned Norway it may appear "barbaric" and drive other tourists away.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3713360.stm

I agree to some seal-hunting to control the stock of seals... but idea of letting tourists shoot the seal for fun is NOT AN ACCEPTABLE PERFORMANCE FROM Norway.... It's provoking...
I'm ashamed... user posted image

PMEmail Poster

Can you dig it?
Member No.: 210
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 12 2004, 01:45 AM
Quote Post
Killing animals for entertainment. That's sick.

I'd expect that from Amerika, but not europe. clubinhand.gif

PMEmail Poster

Freedom Fighter
Member No.: 264
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 12 2004, 03:10 AM
Quote Post
I know Wahya....

hmmm... how about the fox-hunting in UK... just for fun that too:

user posted image

PMEmail Poster

Can you dig it?
Member No.: 210
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 12 2004, 03:29 AM
Quote Post
Agreed. Fox hunting is a ligering trace of the aristocracy's decadence.

I dont understand how someone could laugh and take pleasure from a living creature's terror and pain.

PMEmail Poster

Master Of His Domain
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 14 2004, 07:54 PM
Quote Post
Blue Eyed
I agree to some seal-hunting to control the stock of seals

I'm sorry but I can't and I don't.

The reason for seal culling is because the seals are eating too much fish and it cuts into the profits of the fisherman.

So STOP depleting the oceans of fish then and start more fish farms and hatcheries.

As we kill off the seals, what will the polar bears and killer whales eat?

Wahya
Fox hunting is a ligering trace of the aristocracy's decadence.

Yup!

I dont understand how someone could laugh and take pleasure from a living creature's terror and pain.

Because THEY are NOT like us.

--------------------

~ Buddha

Master Of His Domain
Mood: 

Posted: Nov 7 2004, 12:51 AM
Quote Post
Fishermen Accused Of 'Barbaric' Baby Seal Slaughter
By David McKittrick
Ireland Correspondent
The Telegraph - UK
11-7-4

Dozens of young seals on a remote island off Ireland's south-west coast have been shot, stabbed and bludgeoned to death in an incident that has been condemned as cruel and barbaric.

user posted image

The bodies of about 60 of the animals were discovered by divers earlier this week, strewn on a breeding beach on one of the Blasket Islands off County Kerry on Ireland's south-west coast.

Sean Eviston of the Irish Seal Sanctuary, who travelled to the island to view the scene, said most of the animals killed were about three weeks old, adding: "They ripped some of these seals open from the nape of the neck."

He said some had been shot and some had been beaten with rocks while, in other cases, nails appeared to have been driven into their skulls. Some of the animals had also been disembowelled. He blamed fishermen for the slaughter.

Most of the seals killed were "whitecoats", signifying they were only a few weeks old when killed. They are born in the Blaskets from mid-September onwards, their mothers staying with them for about three weeks to suckle them. The pups are known as whitecoats in the first few weeks of life because of the long white covering they were born with.

Ireland's Environment Minister, Dick Roche, described the attack as cruel and barbaric, saying: "I was shocked and disgusted to hear reports of the sheer brutality of the slaughter of the seals off the Blasket Islands.

"I have sent an official of my department to the islands to investigate this disgraceful act and I am expecting a full report.

"The cruel and barbaric slaughter of these seals has a dehumanising effect on society. The sight of seals being bludgeoned to death is repugnant. I appeal to anyone who has information about the perpetrators of these killings to contact the gardai in County Kerry."

The incident is the latest and largest-scale example of a practice which is known to be a regular occurrence on parts of Ireland's western coast.

The general but unproven assumption is that such attacks are carried out by fishermen who regard seals as a menace to their livelihood. As far as is known, no one has been convicted in relation to any such incident. Adult grey seals can eat up to five per cent of their body weight in one day, consuming scores of fish such as mackerel and herring.

Begenish, where the slaughter took place, is one of the beautiful but bleak Blasket Islands which are now uninhabited. The islands are Ireland's largest sanctuary for grey seals, with about one-third of Ireland's grey seal population returning each year to breeding grounds.

Although the grey seal is a protected species in Ireland, close observers believe their numbers are in decline. Thatmay be partly down to a naturally high mortality rate but also because they are regularly being killed by humans.

Experts say that, every year, seal corpses are discovered with evidence of human attack, such as gunshot wounds. In others cases, they have discovered seals which have been beheaded or disembowelled.

This is done, apparently, because their killers hope that the mutilated bodies will sink to the bottom of the sea and thus leave no evidence of human involvement in their deaths.

Because many of the bodies are never found, the scale of the illegal culling is not known, though it is certain that seals are killed each year. The largest known attack came in 1992, when at least one hundred animals are known to have died in a mass slaughter.

Pauline Beades, a volunteer seal conservationist, said yesterday of the Begenish attack: "We are talking about the entire pupping season being wiped out. It's absolutely heartbreaking, incredibly distressing."

© 2004 Independent News & Media (UK) Ltd. http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/environme...sp?story=580029

--------------------

~ Buddha

Master Of His Domain
Mood: 

Posted: Mar 16 2005, 08:40 AM
Quote Post
International Protesters Target Seal Slaughter
By Allison Dunfield
The Globe and Mail
3-15-5

International opponents of Canada's seal hunt are gathering across the country Tuesday to protest what they say is an arcane and inhumane slaughter of the animals.

Protests by the Humane Society of the United States and Greenpeace along with other environmental and animal rights groups are taking place in Halifax, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver, along with more than 40 other cities across North America. The groups are gathering in front of Canadian embassies and consulates to "protest the cruel and needless slaughter of harp and hooded seals in Canada."

And the groups say global resistance to the seal hunt is on the increase as more people are informed of the suffering they say the animals experience.

"The fact is that opposition to Canada's brutal seal hunt is growing," said Pat Ragan, the Humane Society of the United States's seal campaign manager.

"As the ugly truth about this slaughter spreads from person to person around the globe, it becomes harder for the Canadian government to hide behind the myths that the killing of hundreds of thousands of seals each year is justified, sustainable or humane."

The society says Ottawa is hiding the number of animals who die each year.

They claim East Coast fishermen will kill 300,000 harp seals between late March and the close of the hunt on May 15. They call Canada's seal hunt the largest commercial slaughter of marine mammals in the world.

"Canada's commercial seal hunt is the largest and cruellest slaughter of marine mammals on earth," said Wayne Pacelle, president and chief executive officer of the Humane Society of the United States, in a statement.

But Brian Underhill, a spokesman for Fisheries Minister Geoff Regan, says Canada's seal population is in good shape.

"I believe there is in excess of five million seals in the herd right now," Mr. Underhill told globeandmail.com. "And that does provide an income for numerous families in areas where there's not too much in terms of economic activity."

Mr. Underhill said that number has tripled since the 1970s.

Mr. Regan, whose constituency office in Halifax was targeted by about 30 people Tuesday, won't be making an official comment, Mr. Underhill said. The protesters took a banner and letters to his office, local radio station VOCM reported.

"He believes that the seal hunt is healthy [for the economy]," Mr. Underhill said.

Mr. Underhill also said that while protesters say that the hunt is inhumane because of their claim that some animals are skinned while still alive, according to a recent report published by the Canadian Veterinary Journal, virtually all seals are taken in a humane manner.

This year's protest has attracted some attention from some high-profile activists.

On Monday, retired French actress Brigitte Bardot said she was angry at both Prime Minister Paul Martin and Mr. Regan for not doing enough to stop the hunt. "You are jerks!" she was quoted as saying in an interview with Sun Media. "I wrote for years to all Canadian prime ministers, but it hasn't done anything to stop it. Nothing!"

Ms. Bardot is unable to make the trip to the protests because of her health.

She has attended other seal protests in Canada in the past.

Mr. Underhill said Mr. Regan has no comment on Ms. Bardot's words, but noted that everyone is entitled to their opinion and agreed that issues like the seal hunt bring out strong opinions on both sides.

Marc Roy, a spokesman from the Prime Minister's Office, said Mr. Martin has no comment on Ms. Bardot's remarks.

© Copyright 2005 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/

More information:
http://www.ifaw.org/ifaw/general/default.
http://www.hsus.org/marine_mammals/protect_se
http://www.harpseals.org/ http://www.wspa.ca/sealhunt/action.html http://www.seashepherd.org/seals/seals.html http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/...?ltl=1109939105

http://rense.com/general63/cans.htm

--------------------

~ Buddha

Master Of His Domain
Mood: 

Posted: Apr 7 2007, 05:17 AM
Quote Post
sasquatch-cry.gif sadoriginal.gif
Massacred for fashion - the annual slaughter of seals
by LIZ JONES 
3rd April 2007
user posted image
user posted image
Peering pitifully through the slush of sea ice, the seal struggles desperately to keep its head above water. Exhausted and confused, it searches for a safe place to haul its weary body from the water.

If it can not find solid ice soon, it will slip beneath the surface and drown.

Given the fate that otherwise awaits it, that may be a blessing.

Yesterday, the world's cruellest cull once more got under way as Canadian fishermen began their annual festival of slaughter - clubbing and shooting tens of thousands of seal pups around the Gulf of St Lawrence.

Once again, the world will recoil in horror at the spectacle of men battering young seals to death, before skinning the still-warm bodies for the pelt that will be turned into a fashionable accessory for the unthinking or uncaring.

And this year, as these pictures show, there is a double horror. Thanks to global warming, the ice that should provide a solid base for the pups in their first few weeks of life has melted weeks early.

As a result, they are either tipped into the water when the sea swells, or fall through the gaps in the slush. There, lacking the ability to swim, they die.

It was estimated that by the end of last week more than 90 per cent of the pups born in the southern part of the gulf had perished - approximately 260,000 seals.

Hovering above the scene in a helicopter with a monitoring group from an American animal welfare charity, it became clear that we were watching an ecological catastrophe taking place before our eyes.

And yet still the hunters will continue with their barbaric mission, picking off every remaining pup still alive.

To help them locate the survivors, government planes will be despatched to scour the ice and, as soon as any pups are spotted, the co- ordinates will be radioed back to the coastguard, who will lead the fishing boats to the location.

Not even the destruction of the seal's habitat, it seems, can stop the wholesale slaughter.

As a fashion writer who has campaigned against the resurgence of fur on the catwalk, the scenes I witnessed during my time in Canada sickened and appalled me.

I really don't know how this practice can be called a "hunt". (At least foxes can run: seal pups can't even crawl.)

And actually, when I speak to one of the fishermen, he calls it a "harvest".

"Seals are like fish," he said. "There is no difference."

This is plainly ridiculous.

Seals are intelligent, inquisitive creatures. Watch them through a hole in the ice and they do a double-take when they spot you, and return, moments later, to stare with inquisitive eyes.

Yet to the fisherman around the coast of Newfoundland, they are simply a threat to local fish stocks; a menace to be eradicated by any means possible.

I wish I could say such callous indifference was surprising. But even before I had been flown over the ice, the hypocrisy of the Canadian government had already prepared me for what lay ahead.

Before I was allowed to enter Canada, I had to sign a special visa form which stated that I would not "touch or pick up" a seal, because that would make it stressed. (I wonder what smashing its skull with a 'hakapik' - a club with a useful spike on the end - would make it?)

I also had to agree that I would not try to rescue an injured seal. (Last year, on a visit to Newfoundland to protest against the cull, Sir Paul McCartney had to return home before the killing started because he couldn't trust himself not to intervene.)

I even had to agree to keep 20 metres away from the fishermen.

I don't know who this last edict was meant to protect - them, or me?

Last year, an angry mob, made up mostly of the wives of the fishermen, attacked an animal welfare vehicle monitoring the cull and forced it off the road.

Such is local resentment towads those who publicise the slaughter that, on leaving the helicopter, I was warned to hide my notebook and camera in case locals got wind of the fact I was a journalist.

It seems our pilot had been very brave to fly us out over the ice.

Yet last week, the Canadian government was busy trying to persuade the world that the hunt was humane and necessary and sustainable.

An 11-strong delegation, headed by special ambassador Loyola Sullivan, travelled to the EU to plead their case, before turning up at Westminster to meet MPs. (Britain, unlike Italy, Belgium and Luxembourg, has yet to impose a ban on seal products.)

Sullivan was full of platitudes, stressing the hunt was no more cruel than an abattoir, and pointing out that very young seals can no longer be killed.

Although it is true that the killing of "white coats" - newborn pups with thick, white fur - has been banned since 1983, a pup can still be slaughtered when it is only 12 days old, just as it starts to moult (these are called "ragged jackets"); or when it is a "beater" (still under four weeks old and unable to swim properly).

But because the hunt is so remote, it is impossible to regulate or monitor. The atrocities that take place are almost too horrendous to document.

Although some pups are shot, the vast majority are clubbed. This is because clubbing is cheaper and doesn't spoil the quality of the pelt.

Even in good condition, a pelt is worth just $US 78 (£36). Yet so many are slaughtered that for the fishermen in Newfoundland, the annual cull nets £13 million.

Pelts are exported to Norway, Russia, China and South Korea to be made into fashion garments that are sold all over the world.

But because public hostility is growing towards the seal cull, unscrupulous dealers often deliberately mislabel seal fur, claiming it is rabbit, or even fake fur.

One thing is certain: with demand for fur of all kinds running high on the back of its renewed popularity on the catwalk, the Canadian fishermen can be sure of a vibrant market for this year's "harvest" - though with pups so few in number, the competition between fishing boats will be fierce, resulting in even more frenzied killing.

I ask the animal welfare observers accompanying me, who have witnessed such scenes many times before, to tell me which aspect of the slaughter they find most distressing.

One tells me how she has witnessed pups being dragged by hooks across the ice, and once saw a pup take 45 minutes to die after being clubbed on the head.

"She was on the ice, just gurgling and crying, and there was nothing we could do to intervene."

Another described how, when the hunt begins, the female seals all try to keep an eye on their babies until fear drives them into the water.

Once the boats have gone, they all come back onto the ice, calling for their pups.

They waddle up to the huge, steaming pile of offal that is left to rot on the ice (seal blubber is virtually worthless), and they actually sort gently through the bodies, trying to find their babies.

"The sound the mothers make is so terrible, so plaintive, it haunts you for ever," she said. Perhaps the sound of the mothers wailing should be played at the next fashion show given by the likes of Christopher Bailey at Burberry, or Julien Macdonald, or Karl Lagerfeld, or even our own Amanda Wakeley.

These designers will protest that they don't use seal fur - only silver fox or mink.

That's not the point.

By using animal fur of any kind, they make this sort of brutality acceptable and chic and normal, and lovely and desirable.

Having witnessed the seals' desperate situation first-hand, I can vouch it is no such thing. It is utterly repellent.

• For information on what you can do to stop the commercial seal hunt, visit http://www.protectseals.org or http://www.hsus.org

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1811

--------------------

~ Buddha

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0578 ]   [ 17 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

"Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce."
~ James A. Garfield, President of the United States

MORE POLITICAL ART

"Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws."
~ Amschel Mayer Rothschild