Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox
The shoutbox is currently offline!

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Click Here and visit PuPPs FREE StuFF

This website contains controversial information that may be disturbing to some viewers.
The theories, conclusions and commentaries are presented in an attempt to reveal the hidden truths.
It is up to the viewer to determine what they choose to believe after evaluating all available sources of information.

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION
Does your government represent your best interests?

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

POLITICAL ART GALLERY

IMPORTANT TOPICS

1. U.S. NEWS MEDIA CAN LEGALLY LIE TO YOU
There is no law preventing the U.S. news media from intentionally lying to the public. Whistle blowers and honest reporters are fired for telling the truth.

2. FLUORIDE IS A TOXIN/POISON
Read the Poison Warning label on your toothpaste, then call the 800# and ask;
"Why do you put poison in my toothpaste?"

3. NEW FLU VACCINE IS LOADED WITH MERCURY
by Dr. Joseph Mercola

4. PEDOPHILES IN HIGH PLACES
Also: Conspiracy of Silence Video

5. ASPARTAME IS HARMFUL
Equal, Nutra-Sweet and over 6000 food and beverage products contain Aspartame

6. On September 10, 2001, Donald Rumsfeld held a press conference to disclose that over $2,000,000,000,000 (2 Trillion) in Pentagon funds could not be accounted for.
Such a disclosure normally would have sparked a huge scandal. However, the commencement of the [9/11] attack on the World Trade Center and The Pentagon the following morning would assure that the story remained buried.

http://drinkingwaterlosangeles.com
Serving the greater Los Angeles area,
Los Angeles Drinking Water is proud to offer Reverse Osmosis filtration systems
that remove trace elements such as arsenic, mercury, lead and fluoride
which are known to be in Los Angeles tap water according to
the 2013 DWP Water Quality report.
POLITICAL ART GALLERY

"If our nation is ever taken over, it will be taken over from within."
~ James Madison, President of the United States

Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> News from Norway, NORWAY

Freedom Fighter
Group: Members
Member No.: 264
Mood: 

Posted: Jun 2 2006, 05:30 AM
Quote Post
QUOTE (Wahya @ May 30 2006, 04:48 AM)
Yeah that's my Thor.

lsnt he a sweetheart?

He's just as friendly as he looks too.

I want to let my fingers run through his soft thick fur winkNEW.gif
Hopefully he wouldn't bite!

More news from my corner of the world:

Security tight for "Satanist" date
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1336139.ece
All across Norway precautions are being mounted to prevent churches being torched on June 6, 2006 - 06.06.06.
The Church Employer and Interest Organization (KA) have decided upon a safety first approach, and warned all responsible for Norwegian churches to be on guard on the day.
"We do not wish to contribute to increased attention on this matter, but to signal a potential risk," KA division leader Øystein Dahle told newspaper Vårt Land.
Dahle said he would have preferred to ignore the date, but must recognize that certain circles are fascinated by the date, and the association with the number 666 linked to the devil. The KA has asked for vigilance around churches and graveyards on the date.
Garbage cans, rubbish and other inflammable material should be moved away from buildings, and combustible vegetation should also be removed. Firefighting equipment and alarms should be tested, and doors and windows locked.
The KA also advises that floodlighting be turned on at night, and asked that local police and fire departments be contacted to draft local precautionary measures.

Norwegian satanists burned down several churches in the 90's. I guess this is why they prepare.

PMEmail Poster

Freedom Fighter
Member No.: 262
Mood: 

Posted: Jun 2 2006, 05:48 AM
Quote Post

Hi BE!...never mind about hell=666 read the joke I just posted on the Aussie thread....visit down under and find out what HOT is LOL!!

Peace bb waving.gif

--------------------
I can only open the door, I can't drag people through it!

Don't FORGET! White Australia has a Black History!!!!

I saw the Angel in the marble
And carved until I set him free!!.....Michaelangelo
PMEmail Poster

Can you dig it?
Member No.: 210
Mood: 

Posted: Jun 2 2006, 02:02 PM
Quote Post
QUOTE (Blue Eyed @ Jun 2 2006, 05:30 AM)
QUOTE (Wahya @ May 30 2006, 04:48 AM)
Yeah that's my Thor.

lsnt he a sweetheart?

He's just as friendly as he looks too.

I want to let my fingers run through his soft thick fur winkNEW.gif
Hopefully he wouldn't bite!

More news from my corner of the world:

Security tight for "Satanist" date
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1336139.ece
All across Norway precautions are being mounted to prevent churches being torched on June 6, 2006 - 06.06.06.
The Church Employer and Interest Organization (KA) have decided upon a safety first approach, and warned all responsible for Norwegian churches to be on guard on the day.
"We do not wish to contribute to increased attention on this matter, but to signal a potential risk," KA division leader Øystein Dahle told newspaper Vårt Land.
Dahle said he would have preferred to ignore the date, but must recognize that certain circles are fascinated by the date, and the association with the number 666 linked to the devil. The KA has asked for vigilance around churches and graveyards on the date.
Garbage cans, rubbish and other inflammable material should be moved away from buildings, and combustible vegetation should also be removed. Firefighting equipment and alarms should be tested, and doors and windows locked.
The KA also advises that floodlighting be turned on at night, and asked that local police and fire departments be contacted to draft local precautionary measures.

Norwegian satanists burned down several churches in the 90's. I guess this is why they prepare.

Thor has never bitten anyone. He's a big teddy bear. hugs.gif

BTW...

6-6-06 is my birthday DragonWalkEmoticon3.gif

Seriously.

PMEmail Poster

Freedom Fighter
Mood: 

Posted: Jun 7 2006, 03:08 AM
Quote Post

well, nothing happened on 06-06-06 rolleyesNEW.gif

Norway dumps Wal-Mart stock
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/business...icle1341741.ece

Norwegian Finance Minister Kristin Halvorsen revealed Tuesday that two new stocks will be banned from the country's so-called "oil fund," which now is called the Norwegian Government Pension Fund - Global and currently is worth about USD 250 billion. It ranks as one of the biggest pension funds in the world.

The ministry reported that it's excluding Wal-Mart Stores Inc, Wal-Mart de Mexico and Freeport McMoRan Copper and Gold Inc from the fund "in line with recommendations from the Council on Ethics for the Fund."

Halvorsen's finance ministry officials cited "serious" and "systematic violations of human rights and labour rights" as its reason for pulling out of its Wal-Mart investments.

Another decision to dump shares in Freeport McMoRan was based on "serious environmental damage" incurred by the company.

Halvorsen was quoted in a government statement as saying that the exclusions "reflect our refusal to contribute to serious, systematic or gross violations of ethical norms in these areas through our investments in the Government Pension Fund - Global."
Investing in either Wal-Mart or Freeport, Halvorsen claimed, "entails an unacceptable risk that the Fund may be complicit in serious... violations of norms."

Wal-Mart's offenses
US-based Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer with revenues of nearly USD 300 billion, has been harshly criticized for its labour practices. Norway's Council on Ethics claimed that an "extensive body of material indicates that Wal-Mart consistently and systematically employs minors in contravention of international rules, that working conditions at many of its suppliers are dangerous or health-hazardous, that workers are pressured into working overtime without compensations, that the company systematically discriminates against women in pay," and that attempts to organize workers into unions are stopped.

The council's assessments involve Wal-Mart's business operations in the US and Canada and at its suppliers in Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Lesotho, Kenya, Uganda, Namibia, Malawi, Madagascar, Swaziland, Bangladesh, China and Indonesia.

The council and Norway's central bank wrote to Wal-Mart last fall, asking them to comment on the allegations of violations of human rights. The Norwegian Finance Ministry said Wal-Mart never responded.

Freeport's pollution
The Finance Ministry said that Freeport, which operates one of the world's largest copper mines on the island of New Guinea in Indonesia, is using a natural river system to dispose of 230,000 tons of tailings a day. This, claims the ministry, inflicts "extensive and serious damage on the environment" because the disposal releases large quantities... copper, cadmium and mercury into the watercourse."

The Council on Ethics found the environmental damage cause by Freeport's mining operations to be "extensive, long-term and irreversible," with "considerable negative consequences for the indigenous peoples residing in the area."

Freeport, Halvorsen's staff claimed, "gives no indication of intending to alter the way the company manages waste in the future, or initiating mearues that will significantly reduce the damage to the environment," even though Freeport's management "has long been aware of the environmental damage caused by the company's practices."

Norway's central bank (Norges Bank) also asked Freeport to comment on the Council's assessments last December. Freeport responded on January 20. "While Freeport refutes the allegations levelled at the company, it chooses not to provide evidence in support of its position," stated the Finance Ministry.

Continuing to invest in Freeport, Halvorsen said, would leave Norway's pension fund with an "unacceptable risk of contributing to severe environmental damage."

Norway's disinvestment procedures gives Norges Bank two months to disinvest from a company before a decision on exclusion is made public. It sold off about NOK 2.5 billion worth of Wal-Mart stock and NOK 116 million worth of Freeport stock by the end of May.

That woman rules!!!

PMEmail Poster

Grouchy old bastard
Member No.: 556
Mood: 

Posted: Jun 7 2006, 02:14 PM
Quote Post
Onya Kristin Halvorsen! A step in the right direction. If only more people had the backbone to reject immoral companies.

I recommend to all PuPP's People to stay aware and not to buy products that are from employers who abuse, exploit or pollute. A couple of sport shoe manufacturers spring quickly to mind along with a whole nation east of China - you know the one which lies to the world about killing whales.

--------------------
So many ferals - so few bullets.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Can you dig it?
Mood: 

Posted: Jun 7 2006, 03:01 PM
Quote Post
QUOTE (uggliozzi @ Jun 7 2006, 02:14 PM)

I recommend to all PuPP's People to stay aware and not to buy products that are from employers who abuse, exploit or pollute.

How many of these can you name ? Employers who dont abuse, exploit, or pollute?

PMEmail Poster

Grouchy old bastard
Mood: 

Posted: Jun 7 2006, 06:58 PM
Quote Post
Good Point Wahya.

Perhaps I should say to boycott those who attract attention as being immoral.

or

Give precedence to those who, in your own experience, are OK.

--------------------

Can you dig it?
Mood: 

Posted: Jun 11 2006, 11:40 AM
Quote Post
lt's hard to think of isnt it?

By their very nature, the big corps of today are just that - abusers, exploiters, and polluters.

IMO... buy locally from small businesses when you can.

Support your local farmer's market. Buy from local craftsmen.

lt's easier for me because we live in rural ohio. There's amish and mennonites out here, as well as plain ol' country folks who sell surplus goods from their own small farms.

This post has been edited by Wahya on Jun 11 2006, 11:41 AM

PMEmail Poster

Master Of His Domain
Group: Admin
Member No.: 8
Mood: 

Posted: Jun 11 2006, 02:13 PM
Quote Post
Here's some Norway news.gif

Record meteorite hit Norway
Aftenposten's Norwegian reporter
Nina Lødemel
Aftenposten English Web Desk
Jonathan Tisdall
Saturday June 10 2006
As Wednesday morning dawned, northern Norway was hit with an impact comparable to the atomic bomb used on Hiroshima.
Peter Bruvold witnessed the meteorite streaking across the night sky.
user posted image
PHOTO: PETER BRUVOLD

The map shows the meteorite's direction of fall (the arrow) and the possible impact area over Troms and Finnmark counties.
user posted image

At around 2:05 a.m. on Wednesday, residents of the northern part of Troms and the western areas of Finnmark could clearly see a ball of fire taking several seconds to travel across the sky.

A few minutes later an impact could be heard and geophysics and seismology research foundation NORSAR registered a powerful sound and seismic disturbances at 02:13.25 a.m. at their station in Karasjok.

Farmer Peter Bruvold was out on his farm in Lyngseidet with a camera because his mare Virika was about to foal for the first time.

"I saw a brilliant flash of light in the sky, and this became a light with a tail of smoke," Bruvold told Aftenposten.no. He photographed the object and then continued to tend to his animals when he heard an enormous crash.

"I heard the bang seven minutes later. It sounded like when you set off a solid charge of dynamite a kilometer (0.62 miles) away," Bruvold said.

Astronomers were excited by the news.

"There were ground tremors, a house shook and a curtain was blown into the house," Norway's best known astronomer Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard told Aftenposten.no.

Røed Ødegaard said the meteorite was visible to an area of several hundred kilometers despite the brightness of the midnight sunlit summer sky. The meteorite hit a mountainside in Reisadalen in North Troms.

"This is simply exceptional. I cannot imagine that we have had such a powerful meteorite impact in Norway in modern times. If the meteorite was as large as it seems to have been, we can compare it to the Hiroshima bomb. Of course the meteorite is not radioactive, but in explosive force we may be able to compare it to the (atomic) bomb," Røed Ødegaard said.

The astronomer believes the meteorite was a giant rock and probably the largest known to have struck Norway.

"The record was the Alta meteorite that landed in 1904. That one was 90 kilos (198 lbs) but we think the meteorite that landed Wednesday was considerably larger," Røed Ødegaard said, and urged members of the public who saw the object or may have found remnants to contact the Institute of Astrophysics.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1346411.ece

--------------------
"Ye shall know them by their fruits"
~ Matthew 7:16

"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
~ Buddha
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL

Freedom Fighter
Mood: 

Posted: Jun 15 2006, 05:34 AM
Quote Post
QUOTE (PuPP @ Jun 11 2006, 11:13 PM)
Here's some Norway news.gif

Record meteorite hit Norway
Aftenposten's Norwegian reporter
Nina Lødemel
Aftenposten English Web Desk
Jonathan Tisdall
Saturday June 10 2006
As Wednesday morning dawned, northern Norway was hit with an impact comparable to the atomic bomb used on Hiroshima.
Peter Bruvold witnessed the meteorite streaking across the night sky.
user posted image
PHOTO: PETER BRUVOLD

The map shows the meteorite's direction of fall (the arrow) and the possible impact area over Troms and Finnmark counties.
user posted image

At around 2:05 a.m. on Wednesday, residents of the northern part of Troms and the western areas of Finnmark could clearly see a ball of fire taking several seconds to travel across the sky.

A few minutes later an impact could be heard and geophysics and seismology research foundation NORSAR registered a powerful sound and seismic disturbances at 02:13.25 a.m. at their station in Karasjok.

Farmer Peter Bruvold was out on his farm in Lyngseidet with a camera because his mare Virika was about to foal for the first time.

"I saw a brilliant flash of light in the sky, and this became a light with a tail of smoke," Bruvold told Aftenposten.no. He photographed the object and then continued to tend to his animals when he heard an enormous crash.

"I heard the bang seven minutes later. It sounded like when you set off a solid charge of dynamite a kilometer (0.62 miles) away," Bruvold said.

Astronomers were excited by the news.

"There were ground tremors, a house shook and a curtain was blown into the house," Norway's best known astronomer Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard told Aftenposten.no.

Røed Ødegaard said the meteorite was visible to an area of several hundred kilometers despite the brightness of the midnight sunlit summer sky. The meteorite hit a mountainside in Reisadalen in North Troms.

"This is simply exceptional. I cannot imagine that we have had such a powerful meteorite impact in Norway in modern times. If the meteorite was as large as it seems to have been, we can compare it to the Hiroshima bomb. Of course the meteorite is not radioactive, but in explosive force we may be able to compare it to the (atomic) bomb," Røed Ødegaard said.

The astronomer believes the meteorite was a giant rock and probably the largest known to have struck Norway.

"The record was the Alta meteorite that landed in 1904. That one was 90 kilos (198 lbs) but we think the meteorite that landed Wednesday was considerably larger," Røed Ødegaard said, and urged members of the public who saw the object or may have found remnants to contact the Institute of Astrophysics.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1346411.ece

shock.gif

I was out of the country and didn't get the news until this week!!
It landed not too far from where my sister lives... she didn't hear a damn thing but some of her neighbours woke up though. It wasn't as big as the first breaking news said, it was extremely exaggerated!! Haha... but it made the headlines all over the world didn't it!!!

Here's one of the possible impact points of fragments from the meteorite:

user posted image
http://cache.aftenposten.no/multimedia/arc...6_j_411040h.jpg

Edit to add:
The meteor landed up in North of Norway.
I'm living in South of Norway so no one did see it down here anyway.... eyeball.gif eyeball.gif

This post has been edited by PuPP on Jun 15 2006, 10:58 AM

PMEmail Poster

Grouchy old bastard
Mood: 

Posted: Jun 15 2006, 02:08 PM
Quote Post
Blue Eyed, pity you are so far away. Jewellery made from genuine meteorite fragments might be a good seller.

I know that if a piece of meteorite came up on ebay, I'd make my bids. Imagine holding a rock from space. Like holding a Neanderthal skull.........soooo precious.
(I've never done either - poorer for the non-experience.)

--------------------

Freedom Fighter
Mood: 

Posted: Jun 19 2006, 09:48 AM
Quote Post
I agree uggliozzi!! But I guess they sell them for scientific researches only...
I'd loved a necklace of meteor-stone pearls! redbowsmiley.gif

Latest news of the day:

Update on "Norwegian Doomsday vault"
http://www.puppstheories.com/forum/index.p...wtopic=6095&hl=

Norway to begin work on Arctic vault for seeds in case of global disaster
http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/ar...lobal_disaster/

It sounds like something from a science-fiction film -- a doomsday vault carved into a frozen mountainside on a secluded Arctic island ready to serve as a Noah's Ark for seeds in case of a global catastrophe.

But Norway's ambitious project is on its way to becoming reality today when construction begins on the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, designed to house as many as 3 million of the world's crop seeds.

Prime ministers of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, and Iceland were to attend the cornerstone ceremony this morning near the town of Longyearbyen in Norway's Svalbard Islands, roughly 620 miles from the North Pole.

Terje Riis-Johansen, Norway's agriculture minister, has called the vault a "Noah's Ark on Svalbard."

Its purpose is to ensure the survival of crop diversity in the event of plant epidemics, nuclear war, natural disasters, or climate change, and to offer the world a chance to restart growth of food crops that may have been wiped out. The seeds, packaged in foil, would be stored at such cold temperatures that they could last hundreds, even thousands, of years, according to the independent Global Crop Diversity Trust. The trust, founded in 2004, has also worked on the project and will help run the vault, which is scheduled to open and start accepting seeds from around the world in September 2007.

Oil-rich Norway first proposed the idea a year ago, drawing wide international interest, Riis-Johansen said. The Svalbard Archipelago, 300 miles north of the mainland, was selected because it is located far from many threats and has a consistently cold climate.

Those factors will help protect the seeds and safeguard their genetic makeup, Norway's Foreign Ministry said. The vault will have thick concrete walls, and even if all cooling systems fail, the temperature in the frozen mountain will never rise above freezing due to permafrost, it said.

While the facility will be fenced in and guarded, Svalbard's free-roaming polar bears, known for their ferocity, could also act as natural guardians, according to the Global Diversity Trust.

The Nordic nation is footing the bill, amounting to about $4.8 million for infrastructure costs.

"This facility will provide a practical means to reestablish crops obliterated by major disasters," said Cary Fowler, the trust's executive secretary.

Already, about 1,400 seed banks around the world hold samples of their host country's crops. But these banks are vulnerable to shutdowns, natural disasters, war, and lack of funds, said Riis-Johansen.

Read more on the vault here from the webpage of the Global Crop Diversity Trust
http://www.croptrust.org

Storing duplicate seeds in the Svalbard vault is meant to offer a fail-safe system for the planet.
http://www.croptrust.org/documents/Svalbar...ase%20FINAL.pdf

EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE UNTIL 13:15 HOURS CEST (Central European Summer Time)/ 11:15 HOURS GMT ON MONDAY 19 JUNE 2006
EDITOR’S NOTE: Report, schematic drawings and photographs available upon request.

Scientists to Employ Arctic Ice and Polar Bears
To Protect Diversity of World’s Crops
Global Effort to Conserve Threatened Crop Diversity Underscores Growing Threats to Food Security from Plant Diseases, Climate Change

SVALBARD, NORWAY (19 June 2006)—On an island near the North Pole, heads of State from five Nordic countries and the Global Crop Diversity Trust laid the cornerstone today for a “fail-safe” seed vault to be carved into an Arctic mountain. The vault will ensure the long-term survival of the world’s vital food crops. As polar bears prowled the island, the head of the Trust called the repository a major hedge against catastrophe—part of a broad global strategy to protect the world’s food supply through conserving critical seed collections around the world, from the tropics to the highest latitudes.

“This facility will provide a practical means to reestablish crops obliterated by major disasters,” said Cary Fowler, the Trust’s Executive Secretary and lead author of the just- released Feasibility Study for the Arctic seed vault. “But crop diversity is imperiled not just by a cataclysmic event, such as a nuclear war, but also by natural disasters, accidents, mismanagement, and short-sighted budget cuts.”
The Norwegian government and the Global Crop Diversity Trust spearheaded the effort to establish a seed repository of last-resort in the Arctic ice; carved into permafrost and rock, it will eventually house the seeds of every nation.
The Trust, an international, non-profit organization works to support the world’s most critical crop collections, now scattered among some 1,400 gene banks on every continent (save Antarctica). While their status varies greatly, many are in dire straits, threatening the survival of some of the world’s unique crop varieties. Yet agriculture worldwide relies on these collections of crop species and their wild relatives. They are vital to the development of new varieties, without which agriculture would grind to a halt.
Today’s ceremony, featuring the Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg and Dr. Fowler, marked the initiation of the vault’s construction with a stone-laying event. In a significant expression of support, the Prime Ministers of the other four Nordic nations—Finnish Prime Minister of Matti Vanhanen, Swedish Prime Minister Göran Persson, Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen, and the Prime Minister of Iceland—convened for the event.
Crops Coming into the Cold: Anatomy of the Seed Vault
The “doomsday vault” or Svalbard International Seed Vault (SISV) will have a capacity of three million seed samples. It will ultimately house replicates of every known crop variety, as well as have ample capacity to accommodate new variation as it arises naturally. Enveloped by permafrost and rock, the samples will remain frozen even if electricity fails. Samples held in “black boxes” will only be released in the event that all other seed sources have been destroyed or exhausted.
The Feasibility Study for the doomsday vault thoroughly examined the pros and cons of such a facility in this remote Arctic site. The study concluded that under proper conditions, seeds for most major food crops could remain viable for hundreds of years, while others, including key grains, could survive for thousands of years.
A meter of reinforced concrete will fortify the chamber walls. Arctic permafrost will act as a natural coolant to protect the samples—which will be stored in watertight foil packages—should a power failure disable refrigeration systems. Despite changes being wrought by global warming, experts believe the deep permafrost will be reliably cool for at least the next 100 years. Even with a complete loss of refrigeration, vault temperatures would never rise above -3.5 Celsius or about 27 degrees Fahrenheit.
In addition to a strong security door and perimeter fence, the facility’s remote location will enhance its security, as will the incredibly cold winters, ice flows, and the presence of Norwegian authorities. Facility planners also cite the ubiquitous presence of polar bears, not known for their hospitality toward humans, as a security measure.
The seeds placed in the facility will be replicates of those already available in existing gene banks. The vault will cost approximately US$3 million, which will be provided by the Norwegian government. The Trust is committed to supporting ongoing operational costs, and will be available to assist developing countries with preparing, packaging, and transporting their representative seeds to the Arctic.
Conserving Diversity Crop by Crop
In addition to supporting the Arctic seed vault, the Trust is developing conservation strategies for every major crop and every world region. These will include both seed crops and crops such as potatoes that can only be conserved with cuttings, and therefore cannot be banked in the Arctic vault. Just two years old, the Trust has begun funding critical yet imperiled collections of major food crops, including potato, wheat and apple. Investing relatively modest sums, the Trust is fending off serious threats to food security.
Wheat: The salvage effort comes at a critical time. A new kind of airborne wheat fungus or “rust” that can reduce yields by 55 percent emerged in Uganda in 1999, spread to Kenya and Ethiopia by 2003, and is now moving out of Africa and into South Asia. Dubbed Ug99, the rust was recently reported in coastal Pakistan and could threaten India’s 21.6 million ton wheat harvest. Scientists need full access to wheat genetic diversity to develop immune varieties.
One critical collection of wheat is found in the gene banks of Russia’s N.I. Vavilov Institute, where the Trust is funding the regeneration of threatened seed collections. These include wheats that originated in Central Asia and the Caucuses, on the fringes of the crop’s center of domestication. Some of these rare wheat samples will be “repatriated” to gene banks in their countries of origin. The price tag for this vital program is US$70,000 a year for three years.
Potato: The same potato blight that in the 19th century caused more than a million deaths in Ireland has shown up in Alaska three times in the last ten years, and has also been seen recently in large areas of Bangladesh, where it was blamed for a 50 percent drop in yields.
Ireland’s tragedy unfolded because its farmers cultivated only a handful of potato varieties. But crop gene banks in South America safeguard diverse collections of wild and cultivated samples could be vital to developing blight-resistant varieties. At least one of these gene banks came close to losing its entire potato collection following a break-down in its refrigeration system. The Trust has now funded the essential repairs, saving the potato collection, as well as collections of corn, barley, and wheat. The price tag: less than $25,000.
Apple: The most widely cultivated of all the fruit trees, the apple faces a growing variety of pests. The virus-like apple proliferation phytoplasma recently re-emerged in Germany, and is one of the most economically important threats to apple trees in central and southern Europe. In addition, many beloved apple varieties are susceptible to fire blight, which has become increasingly resistant to the two major antibiotic pesticides used to protect the trees. The disease reappeared in Italy in 2005 after six years of absence.
Yet the diverse genetic apple resources needed to cultivate resistant apple trees are rapidly disappearing, even in Central Asian where the apple was first cultivated. Kazakhstan’s Talgar Pomological Gardens and Turkmenistan’s Garrygalla Research Center hold irreplaceable collections of apple varieties, which include wild species—possibly the most ancient existing ancestors of the apples eaten today. Since the collapse of the Soviet Union, the two institutions had been struggling to survive, and outside plant breeders have had limited access to their genetic resources. Now, a Trust investment of $38,000 a year for the next three years will help secure the apple for future generations.
Climate change adds to the challenges facing the world’s farmers—and to their reliance on crop genetic diversity. A recent report from the United Kingdom’s Foresight Program identifies 10 major food crops grown in Sub-Saharan Africa that are likely to be affected by climate change in arid and semi-arid environments. Even now, plant breeders are trying to develop more drought-resistant varieties of several of these crops. Temperate-region crops are also at risk. For example, many plant rusts thrive under conditions of high moisture and rainfall. This includes a new form of soybean rust, which first reached the United States in 2004 from Latin America. Scientists now project that record-warm temperatures last winter contributed to the increased findings of Asian soybean rust in four states in the early part of 2006. The rust can rapidly destroy 80 percent of a crop.
“We need viable collections of crops like wheat, potato, and apple in areas where they originated and are still grown today,” Fowler said. “The Arctic vault and other collections around the world will make sure that the resources will be there when and where they are needed. Without them, there will be a time when nothing will stand between humanity and mass starvation.”
###
The Global Crop Diversity Trust
The mission of the Global Crop Diversity Trust is to ensure the conservation and availability of crop diversity for food security worldwide. Although crop diversity is fundamental to fighting hunger and to the very future of agriculture, funding is unreliable and diversity is being lost. An independent international organization, established through a partnership between the CGIAR and FAO, the Trust is the only organization working worldwide to solve this problem.

This post has been edited by Blue Eyed on Jun 19 2006, 09:52 AM

PMEmail Poster

Freedom Fighter
Mood: 

Posted: Jun 19 2006, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

^^^
Edit to add:

A "fail-safe system for the planet" they say.... the Svalbard-region will be like an impregnable fortress if the cyclical warming we experience now shifts to a new cyclical cooling.... user posted image

PMEmail Poster

Freedom Fighter
Mood: 

Posted: Oct 24 2006, 03:20 AM
Quote Post

huhNEW.gif
We don't get any strait answers from the Russians if they actually have put'em up there intentionally... or if someone did this as a joke...
scratchinghead.gif

Mysterious warnings pop up along Russian border
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1486358.ece

Norway's border with Russia at the far northern tip of the country has been relatively peaceful, but suddenly some mysterious signs have appeared on the Russian side, warning that the area contains land mines.
"We don't understand this," Åse Dons Lindrupsen of the local border commission in Kirkenes told newspaper Aftenposten. The mines, she said, "have never been mentioned in any of the roughly 60 meetings we have every year with the Russian border patrol."
Nor was there any mention of mines when an expansion of the border zone was taken up with the border patrol chief Aleksandr Belokon on August 30, Lindtupsen said.
Yet just two months after Russia expanded its "special border zone" to 25 kilometers, some little red signs have been placed on the Russian side of the border fence. Their message is indisputable: "Mines."
Russian officials have told their Norwegian counterparts that some unexploded mines may still lie in the area from the battles fought in 1944, when German troops were forced out of the Kola Peninsula and eastern Finnmark.
But the signs are new. The Russian Embassy in Oslo said it couldn't comment on them. The Norwegian consulate in Murmansk said it has no information that the Russian border to Norway has been rigged with mines.
The Russian border chief Belokon has earlier said the border zone was expanded in an effort to fight terrorism, border crimes and illegal immigration.
user posted image
The little signs almost appear homemade, but they carry an ominous message.

PMEmail Poster

Freedom Fighter
Mood: 

Posted: Nov 30 2006, 12:51 AM
Quote Post

Heia

Just posted in the earthchange-section about the strange weather up here.
In fact my Primula's/Primroses and Daisies are still flowering...

Several ski resorts in the mountains opened for the season a few weeks ago, but even there, the weather has simply been too warm for good skiing conditions. sadoriginal.gif

Summer in November
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1550842.ece
Norway is having its warmest autumn ever, with the past three months seen
as a block setting a record high.

let it snow let it snow let it snow... so the children can have some fun.
smileNew4.gif
user posted image

PMEmail Poster

Topic OptionsPages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 1.6115 ]   [ 17 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

"Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce."
~ James A. Garfield, President of the United States

MORE POLITICAL ART

"Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws."
~ Amschel Mayer Rothschild